SHIPS: Sub question

Googling SS 423 returns several sites for the USS Torsk. IIRC this was a Guppy refit. Guppy III maybe?

WmB

WmB

Anybody know what ship Hull #423 is? She appears to be a modernised Fleet class and a museum exhibit.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Looking through Dad's photo books

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

SS423 "Torsk" is a Tench-class sub. Modernized postwar, and eventually preserved in 1972. Where she is now I do not know, but maybe you can get something with a Google search.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I think that's the U.S.S. Torsk. She's sitting in Baltimore's inner harbor tonight. W.W.II boat that has been "Guppy'd".

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

If she's been there awhile then I know where he took the pics. It's amazing how many photos have no information attached. Bad as mine...

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Deactivated 1968, moved to Baltimore in 1972, established as a memorial and open to the public since 1973.

John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com)

Reply to
John Hairell

Torsk was a "fleet snorkel" conversion, not a Guppy. This was a less expensive refit to fleet submarines. In fleet snorkel conversions (18 in all), the submarine received a snorkel and a streamlined fairwater around the sail. The Guppy recived a much more extensive refit, including improved batteries, and (in some conversions) expanded batteries (4 X 126 cells vs. 2 X 126 cells).

The fleet snorkel can be reedily distinguished from the Guppy class by the bow. The fleet snorkel retains the raked, pointed bow, whereas the Guppy class got a modified, rounded bow.

See Torsk fleet snorkel photo at:

and the USS Pickerel, a Guppy at:

Tom Dougherty ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com)

Reply to
Ives100

AHA! Yep, the pictures I have show a raked bow and a sharkmouth painted thereon! Thanks, Tom.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller