Hull shells for great lakes ship models?

Hello all.

I'm looking for a source for a great lakes bulker hull in 1:160 scale, although anything between 1:220 and 1:144 would be suitable. A larger scale canneler might also work. Something close to a 640' or 730' hull in n-scale is what I'm aiming for.

I'd like a single cast hollow shell suitable for interior detail in the cargo area (modeling an Algoma self-unloader) and R/C compatible, although that is not an absolute necessity.

Does anyone know where I could find something like that?

TIA

Mac B.

Reply to
polar bear

There is a kit of a GL bulk ship, but it is big and expensive. I believe it is in HO scale but it might be N. Check with Carr Hobbies in Duluth. there is also a 1/700 Fitz, but it has a solid cast resin hull.

I'd go for making a wood hull using the bread and butter (laminated) method, cutting out the interiors of the lifts. A bit more work than a ready made, cast hull, but cheaper and you'd get exactly what you want in terms of size.

Are you aware there is a great lakes ship modeler's web page?

I build static display lakers, but have been thinking of doing an RC. Contact me via email (off-group).

Reply to
Don Stauffer