what's the most you've spent on one model order ???

am curious. just read the last Great Models newsletter and they are having various % off deals for $500 and $1000 sales.

I think the highest I ever went was around $150.

anyone here drop a $1000 on plastic????

Craig

Reply to
crw59

The most I've spent in one go is 360 quid (about $720). But that *did* include an airbrush compressor.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Yep. In the span of one or two days I dropped around $500 per order on 2-3 orders placed with eToys during their liquidation sale some time around

2000-2001. Shipping was negligible, kits and toys were blown out anywhere from 50-85% off, depending on how long you waited to order.

Pick of the litter from the eToys implosion was picking up RoG 1/48 B-1s for around $8.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Once on eBay, I dropped a little over $600.00 for a complete unbuilt Revell Space Station and another $15.00 for a new set of decals. I haven't built it as yet, although I think that I will this summer. That was the most, and that year (about five years ago) was about the last for that year.

Reply to
The Old Man

When the IPMS Nationals are within driving range I budget $500 for the vendor's room. This year, with a Disney Mediterranian cruise in May/ June, it's going to be more like $100. There's also the lack of space for new kits to consider.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote: : : anyone here drop a $1000 on plastic???? : The 1/35 scale 80cm German railroad gun runs you a mere $800.00, then the barrel and counterweight (aka breech) will kick that total to over 1k.

For $500, you can do that easily by ordering the Bandai 1/350 scale Space Battle Ship Yamato, and then have it shipped most anywhere outside of Asia Pacific.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

I feel like Mr Cheapskate here after reading some of the other posts. If we're talking about $ on a single kit, I'm pretty sure it AMT's Space 1999 Eagle but it had Small Art Works add-ons already in the box. I think I paid $60? I have put down about $150 for several small kits. I'm looking at a change in my job situation so hopefully I won't have to be such a tightwad.

Maybe not exactly what we're talking about here but a couple weeks ago I saw Polar Lights big Enterprise A on ebay built by FXCompany (I think that's the name). Some one hit buy it now for $2600. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen (in plastic mind you), looks exactly like the 11ft filming prop. And I'm thinking I paid $45 for my E. I can build it and get at least $55!

TF

Reply to
TF

The most I ever paid for a model is $250.00 USD back in 1998. All others were less than $40. The only reason that I spent $250 was that is was for a 1/350 resin model of the Heavy Cruiser I served on in the US Navy, the USS SALEM.

willshak

Heh-heh, I once spent $45 for a Mach 2 B-45 from Aviation Usk. I think that's the record for me.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

I'm a lot like Bill, only on a smaller scale. My self-imposed limit is about $50/model; and anything over $40 has to be pretty damn special. I think the most I've ever paid is $75 for a Modelhaus resin '62 Chrysler wagon like the one I owned. I would have gladly paid the same for their lovely '61 DeSoto conversion kit except I bought it when it was still only $45. Addody does '66s. Why?), and even then I'm going to feel a little guilty about spending thaing the $5 I paid for part of a '60 for the rest of the miscellaneous parts and I was right at $50 for a kit of the first car my wife and I jointly owned and drove on our honeymoon. I just paid ~$32 for a '59 Buick like the one my grandfather drove - and I'll need to buy another $5-$8 in resin replacement parts for it.

If it's merely a relatively rare item that I want to fit into a series, I've been known to pay as much as $50 (for a '63 Dodge to complete a set of '62-'70 Mopar B Bodies - except nobt much.

To Enzo, who justified over $700 with an airbrush compressor: They're well under $200 new; but I paid $5 for a perfectly functioning used one at a swap meet ... ;^)

-- C=2ER. Krieger (Cheap Bastard=A9)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Ouch! I know exactly what you mean about feeling guilty for spending more than $40 or $50 for a box of plastic parts. Then again, I have similar feelings about kits with sentimental value. I'd love to get a '67 Dodge Monaco and a '77 Celica ST (not hatchback, 2dr sedan), both cars I loved. I could justify spending a few bucks on those.

TF

Reply to
TF

Didn't Johan do that Dodge? I know they did the '66. As for the Celica, I suspect you're out of luck - although I have seen the liftback version. Sometimes, you just have to settle for 'close'.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

What.....no one stepping up for the 1/35th Dora? We should all buy one to build and one to keep as an investment, or maybe a new car or trip around the world instead?

Reply to
Count DeMoney

that's a nice kit but the money would buy a lot of aircraft kits and add-ons. plus lunch and a half tank of gas.

Reply to
someone

Count DeMoney wrote: : What.....no one stepping up for the 1/35th Dora? We should all buy : one to build and one to keep as an investment, : Yep, that is my plan. I see the importer had some listed on ebay earlier this week, so it is not too late for you to ante up. I expect to hear from them before too long...

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

The only '67 done was a resin by All American based on a Juha Airio master. They were available briefly before AA went under. "And I got one!" he sings. ;) '65s & '66s were available through MPC but can't be resuscitated as the moulds were altered for the "Magnum GT" car. (!@#$%^&*!!!)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

I did pay $100 last year, the most ever for a single kit for me. It's a 1930s Skybird 1/72 WWI Bessoneau Hanger, consisting of a dense cardboard base, a wire framework and a cloth cover, all in the orginal box. The seller was very kind and let me make two $50 payments.

The most valuable kit in my collection is a Fabulon cast resin 1/72 Leduc 022. The parts are presented in their own cutouts in a polyfoam block, the nose is in clear resin, details are the best that I have ever seen and the instructions are a book-sized opus including a hologram of the cockpit. Just a few of these were made for friends of the man behind Fabulon, a long time frend and co-author of my first book. I have passed on offeres up to $1000 and shall leave it up to my kids to sell some day after I'm gone.

The only "modern" kit that I have that came close to $100 is the Roden Zeppelin-Staaken, and I got it for a lot less than retail. Eventually I'll have to get the 1/72 Five Star 1916 Zaamurets Armoured Train for the extensive Russian WWI contract I'm currently immersed in.

Cheers,

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

I think the 66 was produced and I think I've seen em on Ebay. I also heard that a resin 67 was made but never saw it. I've also seen 76/77 Celicas on Ebay (Hasagawa maybe??) and they're very similar to my car. Should be easy enough to fix it up if I get one of those. At least get close. So, it's on my shopping list.

TF

Reply to
TF

Yeah, shame that Art can't get back into it :-( He has/had loads of great stuff!

-- Chuck Ryan Springfield OH

Reply to
Chuck Ryan

Two resin Sea Furies from Fisher. That ended up over 500 with shipping and duty. My only excuse is that the Sea Fury is my all time favourite prop plane. Worst single puchase was a resin and brass 1/72 U-boat. WRF

"Nooooooo! Stop me before I build again."

Reply to
rfranklin