So, what's the most interesting thing you've ever found...

...while doing research on a kit?

Most recently I found that F-102's were used in air to ground combat during the Vietnam War. Didn't know that before, and that the only air combat engagement the Deuce ever engaged in resulted in teh Deuce's only air combat loss, with no wins.

Reply to
Drew Hill

Not research for a kit but research......I found that while attached to the US PacFlt based out of Noumea that HMS Victorious was painted in Measure 21 (5-N Navy Blue) and known as USS Robin.

Reply to
Ron

FWIW The U.S. Navy has never made a point of advertising the fact that for several months in 1943 they essentially "borrowed" a Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier. I believe she had a U.S. Navy Air Group, I'm not sure what squadrons were in it. I think Churchill saw it as payback for the Wasp's Spitfire delivery missions to Malta. At the time we had only one operational carrier left afloat in the Pacific, the Saratoga.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

...that the Germans had a speculative configuration of the Arado 234 on the books with a top mounted, dish/disk shaped radar...just like our modern E2 and AWACS types.

Amongst other tidbits.

Reply to
Rufus

She and Sara had mixed USN/RN airgroups while based together at Noumea (based on photos and text records). Not much difference between an F4F and a Marlet nor a TBF/TBM and a Tarpon so it really didn't matter who flew from which ship. I'll have to check my photos to see if any British planes were used.

Both Ranger and Wasp did ferry duty for the Brits and neither was considered to be survivable in the Pacific. Wasp also had Sq. 218 Swordfish and a squadron of Spits as part of her airgroup while based at Gibraltar (IIRC for a month or two in 1942). CV-6 was still afloat but may have been in for repairs while Victorius was on loan. CV-1 was by then AV-3, CV's 2, 5 and 8 were sunk, the early Essexes were working up as were the early CVE's (a few were active but on Atlantic convoy duty)....I don't think we had any CVL's commissioned yet.

Reply to
Ron

Finding out what the actual bumps and bits on Scharnhorst were for.

I'd built lots of various ships as a kid and seem to remember that the actual names of the parts of a ship were given. What with that and in school, the headmaster taking over an english lesson for one day as our teacher was ill, only to give us his accounts and the methods of flotilla duty by the Navy in WWII to a classroom of bemused nine-year old kids, I thought life was going to be difficult to understand.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

CV-1 (alias AV-3) was on the bottom off the Dutch East Indies courtesy of the I.J.N. ar service. CV-7 (Wasp) was also on the bottom courtesy a Japanese I-boat. 1st Essexes wouldn't arrive at Pearl Harbor until Spring of 43'.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

That Germany lost WWII. When I was a kid, from all the kits that were available, I wasn't entirely sure. ;-)

As an adult... so much to choose from - so little time.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Since no one else has addressed the question, what combat did the 102 engage in? Something between Turkey and Greece over Cyprus? I've seen many pictures of 102s going boom but AFAIK they were drones used for missile tests.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Thanks, Al. I never ran into that fact.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

That doesn't have anything to do with morale.

Yeah, as in 'highly pissed off'.

Most Americans, unfortunately, seem to have forgotten the impact of 9-11. In any case, those attacks brought widespread sentiment for retaliation, not a lowering of morale.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

OK, Al, let's parse. It would have had an effect on military dispositions. That's not exactly morale, but it's what I meant. Jerry 47

Reply to
jerry 47

"Gray Ghost" wrote

You'd better research this a bit more before putting the pen to paper.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Indeed. The Paris to NY round trip is 7200 miles, while the 390 recce version's maximum range was only 6000 miles. Even a lightly-loaded bomber's range could only have been something less than that.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Kind of hard to believe that if the Luftwaffe thought they were going to wind up anywhere near the US coast they didn't figure out a way to bring along a little something-something to mark the occasion - by way of the Doolittle raid and the token fireworks they were hauling. After all, these are the same guys that came up with the Mistel and Zwilling designs. All I've ever heard of that ever came out of these Amerika Bomber schemes were countless desperate proposals followed by countless emphatic rejections.

If nothing else bring along a couple of reems of some of that top notch Goebbels horseshit to drop. Inspired stuff like "Betty Grable and the Statue of Liberty ist kaput!" ;-)

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Parsing is discussing the meaning of 'is'...

If that's what you had said I wouldn't have argued with you.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Europe to US across the N Atlantic - that's into the wind isnt it? That makes it an even tougher feat. So would they've had better luck coming across the mid-Atlantic (like Columbus and hurricanes)? We could change the tale and have the Amerika Bomber coming withing 20 miles of Florida and 20 minutes within the disappearance of the missing flight of TBMs before this thing gets dismissed outright. ;-)

Somehow I can see come tabloid reporter scarfing this up and running with it.

"Aliens pilot German Bomber across Atlantic to within sight of the US during WWII! - EXCLUSIVE! photo shows HUGE NAZI bomber resting on ocean sea floor in perfect working order, landing gear down and bomb bay doors ominously OPEN! Flyover by search craft causes RADIATION gages onboard to bounce off the scale!"

WmB

Reply to
WmB

" WmB" wrote in news:5Ny5e.2566$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Kurt, Al, William. I have read that one of the these planes made a test flight as I described. If I am incorrect then my source is. But I have also read this in other places, too. Is this one of those myths of WWII? Or is it something you folks have never researched before?

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

In article ,

that would be a carrier to see.

In article ,

check your attributes, that wasn't anything i wrote. or were you quoting yourself with my sig? in case you haven't noticed, i'm carefull about your address. why ironic? i don't do it for spam. remember the idiot attack last summer?