Biggest forklift thing I've ever seen

Check out the machine in this vid.

guess it's weight?

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Quite an impressive piece of equipment. I'd guess it's weight somewhere around 90,000#.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

That's not a forklift. My guess would be 40 tons.

Ignoramus7855

I believe it is a called "yarder". Logs are awful thin compared to what they log here, but the length was impressive for road work. The trucker should have been out of the cab, it's really easy to flip or crush a truck with a yard skidder.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Randy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It's a logtstacker, specifically a Wagner Lumberjack.

Letourneau also makes a similar machine.
These can occasionally be seen crossing the highway (unloaded) just on the outskirts of the city here. Interesting when you come around a bend at 70 k/hr and one of them is in the middle of the intersection.

Reply to
Charles U Farley

It's not a forklift. It's a log loader that can pick up a whole truck load of logs at once.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Most mills I've worked in called it the "gobbler".

I've operated ones built by Dart and Terex. We picked up a D8 with the Dart one time and used the winch on the cat to pull a piece of equipment out of a building, with the cat about 20 ft in the air. Wish I had taken a picture of that!

Reply to
Bill Marrs

I wasn't sure of it's name, hence the "forklift THING"

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

That means there was an operator on the cat while it was 20' in the air? Running the winch?

Me too.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

The Wagner wins, the Letourneau has a mast similar to a standard forklift.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

I stand corrected. A "Yarder is a different piece of equipment. Sort of a makeshift crane. I used to see one up in Yuba county based on a Sherman tank hull. I have lived in lumber country for 20 years or so but don't work in the industry. Mill machinists don't make enough.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

--That's the timber industry for ya. If the trucker had positioned his trailer better that ridiculous contraption would have burned about 10 gallons less fuel just picking up the load.

Reply to
steamer

Reply to
rigger