What's the most "oops, I already own that" duplicate kit purchase you've made?

So, what have you bought once or twice, not remembering if you already have it or can't find them to be sure

I have 3 1/48 Hustlers and 3 1/72 B-36's

I've even bought over again figures that I just sold on ebay. That is really sad.

Its probably too late to start a list. The idea of hauling everything out of every corner of the house and work is a bit overwhelming. I could stop buying, but we all know how that story usually ends..

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

That would have to be NASCAR kits back in the 90s. I could never keep straight which ones I already had. Then I made matters worse by buying up multiples on sale with an eye towards swapping out the decals for other drivers. It's too bad Revell (then Monogram) didn't have a falling out with NASCAR in 1991.

Think of it as a sales list. I've inventoried my stash a few times over the years, made a dbase and some lists - even took a picture of each kit (not multiples) just in case I didn't believe my notes. Inventory day is usally when I discover and say things like "Damn - I didn't know I had one of those!" countered by "Frack - what was I thinking when I bought that?"

That's how I cured what ailed me. Or to be precise, I quit going to the local hobby shop and stores with model aisles. Which waround here would largely be Hobby Lobby. As an added incentive to abstain, I usually get sticker shock anyway. I also do not surf hobby sites. It's amazing what you don't buy when you don't look.

The last model kit I bought was a gift - I mean for someone else. ;-)

WmB

Reply to
WmB

what will you trade for one of the b-36's? are they the standard bomber model? not interested in the ficon.

Reply to
someone

...I've done that with with decal sets, but I don't think I've ever done it with a kit. Not unintentionally anyway...

I have two Revell 1/32 F-14As, two Tamiya ones, and two Tamiya F4-Js...all on purpose. I had two 1/32 Revell RF4-Cs, but I sold one off to a recce colleague a few years back...now I've just got the one.

Reply to
Rufus

Mughhh... 1/72 F-4 Phantom II's... I've got about two dozen of various manufacturers sitting in the basement at the moment. Each with its pluses and minuses. And no two has the same details! ARGH!

Reply to
hill4448

1/48 scale

A couple of OEZ Mig 21's, (gave my Academy 21's away) and Su 7's.

A whole lot of FW 190's same with Me 262's...

Used to have a lot of Zeros, now down to one.

1/35 scale

A bunch of Tigers, and I mean a bunch. (at least 6) A couple of Ferdinands too.

A couple of MK III's, and a few MK IV's too.

Oh well.................

Reply to
AM

wanna buy a lindberg do 335 or six? i still have a bunch from the bldg 19 buck a piece sale in the 70's. also ar 234's, some he 162's and a bag of komets. i'm down to my last dozen he 100's.

Reply to
someone

they sprout like mushrooms in the basement, don't they?

Reply to
someone

I think I already have two Tamiya ones...I know I have at least one, pretty sure I have two...

...and at least three AR 234s of various variations.

I'm waitin' on that 1/32 He 111...drool...

Reply to
Rufus

you sure about those ar's? i seem to remember an act of kindness that included

2 hobby craft with some reasin and vac windows. they have actually been started and worked on. they should be built before i sniff that final glue. or do you mean the 335's? brain slow today.... i'm still zowied by your cat. that is a fine bit of work.
Reply to
someone

Do yourself a favor, time to start "Craig's List"......

Reply to
The Old Man

Yeah, particularly those Tigers. Gotta separate them. Every time they get near each other, it seems another one springs up.

Actually after reading the posts here, I don't feel so bad. I'm a piker compared to some of ya all here.........

Reply to
AM

The 335s...I'm pretty sure I have two Tamiya ones...

...but I've also since replaced those Hobbycraft 234s with ones from Monogram. And there's a half-built Hobbycraft Nachtigal still sitting on my bench.

Reply to
Rufus

Unintentional double buys include Pacific Coasts Re 2005 and Macchi C205, (originals stored in the "wrong" place); Williams Bros.

1&1/2"-1' J-5 Whirlwind, (original moved to the "back" of the engine section. I didn't look either.); and a Supermodel BV-138, (I just forgot, OK?). Taking offers..... Ended up with two Fisher 1/32 Sea Furies due to an order foul up. Mr. Fisher graciously offered to take back and refund for the double up but my hands wouldn't let go... Have intentionally doubled up on some sci-fi kits, (Gundam Pod Ball, various SF3D kits), for the same reason people build have multiple Bf109s. Different paint schemes, etc. Also got a couple of Bat Boats for kit bashing. Sick, I know.
Reply to
R. Franklin

Babylon 5 Starfury special edition - quarter price, so I bought four - obvious, isn't it...

They say great minds think alike, but on this evidence warped ones too...

Me too... One for conversion, one in case senility leads me to want to build one (or they get to silly prices on eBay a few years down the line). Got 'em for a couple of quid each in the local cheap shop a couple of years ago, oddly enough the same shop yielded a Revell 1:13 scale Mammoth just before Xmas for the same price. Two of them too, similar reason (plus taking one along to the local wargames club, plonking it down beside fifty quids worth of GW "Lord of the Rings" Mumakil it just towered over and saying "This is so going to **** your little elephant" - started a pachydermal arms race, that did...)

Regards,

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth

From Revell, just the Starfury and the station itself. Starfury came in at least two boxings with different decals.

It's a nice enough kit but needs quite a bit of work to eliminate some gaping joint lines. The guns aren't quite right, but only a detail-freak would notice that.

Comet Miniatures do just about anything you could want - at a price.

Alan Dicey

Musicman59 wrote the following:

An Italeri Horch #215 when I already had a Testor's/Italeri Horch #851 that I bought many years ago. The difference is that I don't have a huge stash of unfinished models (less than a dozen). .

Reply to
willshak

those tamy 335's are nice kits. a bit fiddly but not as much as the monograms. i still have 4 of the monograms. after building two, i can make a pretty nice model with that kit. i know many people have problems with the fit but if you take time to measure and shape, they look great. there's a lot to be done with the motors, they can make really nice candid open hatch dio's. i'm sure you know most of this. how about posting a few pics of that nachtigal? wip's are always fun.

Reply to
someone

what other bab 5 models are there? i don't suppose they did a cruiser?

Reply to
someone

That Nachtigall has probably been IP for near to a decade now...long enough that I had Dr. Microtools putty to work on it with - man, do I miss that stuff. I'd been going back and fourth over if I wanted to do it as a night fighter or a day fighter...still not sure. I've got so much stuff I need to get finished...

Reply to
Rufus