What's the most "oops, I already own that" duplicate kit purchase you've made?

I do it all the time with decals, amazing considering I have this stuff all supposidly tracked in an Access database. I have triple and quadruple sets of some decals. Done it a few times with books too, but amazingly I haven't done it with a kit yet.

Reply to
Pauli G

no mbari cruiser i could find. but you are right about the price. they are out of my range. i would be on the USS Agamemnon like red on a lollypop if i could buy it. 18" long is a nice length. the one they show looks a bit toylike but i believe it's not weatherd and detailed quite enough. i suspect that a good modeler could make it jump out and sing. probably not realistic, but having the center section spin and adding navigation plus port lighting would really make it a keeper. i hope some talented and obsessed builder does that.

120 ponds is around $300? sigh.
Reply to
someone

flip a coin and plug on. or not. i too have many started kits and projects. same with non modeling stuff. i need to mount my walking liberty half set in to loctite containers and i have 10-12 bags of wheats to search. i got those from a little old lady who was losing her sight. she is bitter about it, but she gave me so good a deal becuse i promised to giver her first refusal and low ball prices on any keys. i'm sure there won't be any 22 plains or svdb's, but they are real bank bags from the war. there are steel cents so it has to be at least '44 when they were stashed. the one i quick scanned had many coins from the teens, so maybe.....

Reply to
someone

I have been trying to keep chipping away at the U-boat. I'm working on the stern fittings. Last I've done was to get hold of all the brass and aluminum stock I need to do the railings. I got 1/8" aluminum tube parts cut and fitted to replace the prop shafts. That's looking pretty good. Next really big job will be to get the deck fitted and all the little etched parts onto the deck...then I can do some paint work.

Trying to work that and the Tomcat at the same time, but I'm doing more on the sub than the airplane.

Reply to
Rufus

again i cry, pics, pics, pics!

Reply to
someone

/comical Mexican accent/

Psst meester, ya wanna buy another wun meester? I got two.. :D

and yeah, the 2nd was a 'doh'.

RobG (The Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

And I thought I was the only one who did that... spent 6 months in the UK in '07, ended up with 2 identical sets of 72nd decals (for P-51 'Dooleybird') as well as a 48th set, same a/c. Mr Hannant did very well out of me...

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

Local big box has same kits for years, so more than a few buys at 40% off. Nearest local store sells at MSRP, but they never stock primer. sigh. so its mail order. thanks to the mail order gods.

I guess I could build all the spitfire and P40 variants.

I think it was military modeling had an article about stashing kits at mums, friends house, garage, now that's a lot of kits. though I do have kits in storage but that's because we moved.

I put kits I'm building in those plastic bins that are sold at Target or whatnot, you can work on one model, put it aside work on something else, its not on the workbench while the glue dries. You can also look in the bin and see what you were working on go, yeah, work on that some more.

Got a paint booth from Pace, that really helps in doing the spray paint all winter long.

Reply to
frank

One of the reasons I've been stalled on the Tomcat is that I had ben taking an extensive series of build pic...all of my scratch building, detailing, comparison shots...and then someone came over an hooked a cheapo camera up to my machine and destroyed all my pictures...I'm still pissed about that. I almost feel like trashing the whole project...the pictures were as big a part of the project as building it.

I should be at a point to post a few more U-boat snaps soon...if I can get the 1:1 projects at work out of the way...

Reply to
Rufus

yeah, had a similar expirience. some d*****ad wanted to preview his southie day pics. his software was the same as mine and it renumbered all of my pics to the numbers of his. when he saw my pics redone, he said oops and decided to try over, erasing mine. without telling me. when he saw that he beat a hasty retreat. he was never allowed in my house again. nor did i ever help him with his pc f*ck ups. whenever you get reheartened, post what you wish. don't let some 'tard ruin the fun. piubd the shit out of him and move on.

Reply to
someone

Well, I sometimes get fuzzy about how many 1/144 B-25s I have. If they were all in the same packaging it would be easier to keep them together. I have some in Minicraft, some in Revell and some in Arii boxes and they are all the same kit. I'm not bugged by this as I have plans to modify them into marks unthought of by the mfrs.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

make some smurf bombers for the new movie.

Reply to
someone

You know, there are some -empty- ex Nazi sub pens, hmmm ever see the movie 'Assault on a Queen', how about a good 1:1 Uboat......

minor problems: IPMS =3Dhas=3D to be at a port city....

Reply to
frank

I may have encountered the world's biggest "carpet monster" this afternoon...we opened a panel and a whole wire bundle that's supposed to be there - isn't. WTF?..

Worst thing about 1:1 scale is that you actually HAVE to follow the instructions...where's the fun in that?

Reply to
Rufus

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote: : : make some smurf bombers for the new movie. : smurf turf - what you get when you run over a smurf picnic with a lawn mower.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Rufus wrote: : frank wrote: :> :> You know, there are some -empty- ex Nazi sub pens, hmmm ever see the :> movie 'Assault on a Queen', how about a good 1:1 Uboat...... :> :> minor problems: IPMS =has= to be at a port city.... : I considered a 1/35 model of a Bolo Mk XXX. Decided that "perhaps not" when I realized it would scale to 10m. : : I may have encountered the world's biggest "carpet monster" this : afternoon...we opened a panel and a whole wire bundle that's supposed to : be there - isn't. WTF?.. : Clearly, it wasn't needed...

Years ago, the company I worked for had a very few machines staged through the development building, instead of the manufacturing facility in Melbourne (Fl). Generally, the idiots would forget some thing, and go scrounding the development machines to find what they forgot. Since my machine was from manufacturing, it became a favorite target.

Came in one fine morning, tried to print my code. No worky. Hmmm - printer was turned off. Turn printer on, try again. No worky. Hmmm - printer cable laying on the floor. Plug in printer cable, try again. No worky. Hmmmm, OTHER end of printer cable laying on the floor. Plug in.... Wait. Where is the fracking connecter? SOB's had taken the board - bulkhead cable for the printer. And, they SOB's never replaced the stuff they took. Bastards. : : Worst thing about 1:1 scale is that you actually HAVE to follow the : instructions...where's the fun in that? : Is that what I have been doing wrong all these years?

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

think of how big a dinechrone brigade dio would be. can you say rhode island?

Reply to
someone

Funny, I could swear that the Smurfs had all been wiped out except for Brainy. Robot Chicken finds much material in Smurfdom.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

poor gargamel! he bakes a few and then hates the taste. for a psychotically deranged hate mongering scumbag, gargamel was ok.

Reply to
someone

Robot Chicken fan here too.

Reply to