Mustang MkIII bits

As related in my "Catalogue of Disasters" post, I'm recovering from a particularly fraught (yet ultimately rewarding) build.

So, I'm feeling in need of a "quick and easy" project. I saw this article on Hyperscale.

That's *exactly* the sort of thing I want to do... and for exactly the same reasons as the author.

However, the chances of me building anything totally out of the box are pretty minimal, so I have a question.

I see that there are various resin replacements available for the undercarriage doors on a P-51. What, if any, is the issue with the kit doors? And does it apply only to the P-51D or to the P-51B/C as well?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

enzo, was i right about the bunnymen paraphrase?

Reply to
someone

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain smirked:

"Bunnymen paraphrase"? I'm afraid I missed that.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

in article snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com, Enzo Matrix at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 4/23/07 4:21 PM:

Enzo: IMHO, the Tamiya kit gear doors are perfectly adequate, especially for a "quick and easy" project. They may possibly (if my memory serves) have the suggestion of sinkmarks on the outer surfaces (due to the deep inner detailing), but that would mostly show up in a NMF finish and anyway can be easily fixed with some Mr. Surfacer and light sanding.

If you really want to spend extra money on the project, I heartily recommend the Jaguar P-51B cockpit set (available from Greatmodels.com and jaguarmodels.com for under $13 American). It fits well and looks great.

Also, since your question prompted me to look around on the web for the resin gear doors you mentioned, besides the Ultracast ones (which were familiar to me), I also found a company I hadn't heard about: QuickBoost:

Their stuff looks absolutely beautiful! I'm afraid it's going have a real effect on my cash flow in the future!

Have fun with the Mustang -- it's a great kit. Pip Moss

Reply to
Pip Moss

Thanks Pip!

I have used Quickboost items before and in my experience they are as good as they look. The 1/72 F-4 seats are absolutely excellent.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix