MEW

Is it just me or does anybody else think the latest MEW is a rip-off?
As an enclosure with a mag maybe but to pay for what is basically just
an advert.....
Bah humbug say I
Andy Parker, Agate House Lapidary
Ulverston, Cumbria, England
snipped-for-privacy@agatehouse.co.uk

Andy Parker
I thought that WAS just an advert that they sent out. It wasn't realy an actual issue of the magazine was it?
Regards Kevin
Reply to
Kevin Steele
Err, it is an advert (isn't it?)
Dave
Reply to
NoSpam
An advert that costs =A33.75 as it is called a "plans special". My wife, ever helpful picked one up as she knew I wouldn't want to miss out. I haven't the heart to tell her she paid for a simple list of plans that you have to buy. She thought it was full of project plans that I could have a go at over Christmas. As they say, "catch me once shame on you, catch me twice shame on me".
Best regards
Keith
Reply to
jontom_1uk
Sorry got all cross and pushed the button too quickly. In the past they used to call them Plans Handbooks, similar rip off but at least they didn't pretend to be a magazine. Can't understand why it was issued under the MEW banner only a small percentage of the plans listed are workshop related. In a nice plastic bag so you can't see inside before buying it as well.
Very gruntled of Wales
Reply to
jontom_1uk
I assume it is just an Xmas freebie - you mean the plans 'special'
suppose. Almost all of which is available on the web
-- Myford Mat ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:
this thread:
Myford Matt
It doesn't have an issue/vol no. so I think it is an extra
-- Myford Mat ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:
this thread:
Myford Matt
Does it carry the next issue number on the front ? I don't particularly want to buy a plans handbook I'll never use but if it's part of the numbered set you are committed to buy to keep an intact set -- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
John Stevenson
John, no it doesn't have an issue number just Engineering Plans Special across the top and the normal Model Engineers' Workshop logo. To be honest it would not have fooled my but it certainly did the wife. I bet I will get another one tomorrow from the local newsagent at least if I don't open the bag they can have it back.
Regards
Keith
Reply to
jontom_1uk
It doesn't seem to have an MEW issue number. I had assumed that it was just an advertising job. Issue 121 _should_ be out next Friday. For those that pick up copies in newsagents, this may have been an underhand trick :-(
Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
No, just an advert.
Regards, Tony
Reply to
Tony Jeffree
My copy came in the post as part of my subscription - I hope they aren't ripping me off to the tune of 1 issue of the real thing!
Regards, Tony
Reply to
Tony Jeffree
Who said that it takes 10 years to get business credibility-----
and 10 minutes to lose it?
I don't know who said it- but I know who is doing it.
Norm
Reply to
ravensworth2674
Matt, The 'freebie' costs =A33.75 This prompted my comment.
Norm
Reply to
ravensworth2674
Good point, probably proves they know the price of everything and valu
of nothing... or sommat.
More of a publishing trick than anything, I know we do it occasionall for very different magazines (professional periodicals):
1) Means if you can find someone to pay then they will 2) Stops newsagents throwing them away, sometimes 3) Occasionally fools subscribers into accepting cheap recycle advertorials as a decent product - I assume we are all going to phon em' up and make it clear we?re not idiots:
Despite all of this I'd be surprised if they expect subscribers t accept this lot as a magazine. It is pretty cr*p and full of mistakes.
P37. Min blow lamp decrption turns into a micrometer p 37, 38, 39 a widow on every page, classy MEW ad page - usual collection of fonts gone t*
ts up, in their defenc they've managed to print a Chester UK ad correctly for the first tim since Myford made a grey lathe.
?and there are loads of others.
My absolute favourite is p40, the one true non-ad page. I can pictur it now. They've filled the flatplan (a simple sort of publishing GA and at the eleventh hour an advertiser pulls out. All the house ad have been used up and they couldn't give away any more space if the tried. Better phone the editor and ask for some editorial.
?P*ss off, it was your idea to put this pile of **** together and i you?ve ****** it up it?s your problem. Anyway I?ve resigned, didn?t yo see the ad? in the last issue??
What to do? ? says the publisher. Let?s recycle some old pics and jus in case the muppets who like this kind of thing can?t figure it ou we?ll call it ?Models in action? ? thanks Magicalia, we?d never hav guessed.
It?s a shame, if they hadn?t been so painfully lazy then they coul have made a useful product, but this is pitiful rubbish. It would b nice to see proper illustrations/photos next to all of the designs costs, time? No just what we can all get for nothing on the web.
Mat
-- Myford Mat ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:
this thread:
Myford Matt
Not just me then, thank heavens for that. As a newby I'd have been happy if it had pictures/drawings of each model and some pricing data would have been nice, even - shock horror! some actual plans is a plans special! Yeah right, back to t'internet.
Reply to
Andy Parker
In message , Andy Parker writes
Hi Andy, Yes i agree , I think it a bl**dy cheek.
Reply to
Derek Clifton
It is NOT just a freebie advert. It IS a try on, and a commercial test of the mugs they call subscribers (me included). We HAVE been charged for this rag as part of our subscriptions.
I have it on the best authority, that complaints to the MD of MAGICALIA are very likely to reverse the situation.
Adam Laird, Joint MD MAGICALIA Ltd. 8th Floor, Caxton House, 2 Farringdon Road, London, EC1M 3HP. Company Registration No.(Magicalia Ltd): 3828584
Below is a copy of my letter.
Dear Sir,
I am appalled to receive as the latest copy of Model Engineers Workshop a copy that is entirely devoid of content other than adverts for your products and others. As a long time subscriber to MEW this is not what I expect the have in return for a substantial subscription.
Also having been a long time subscriber to Model Engineer, I have recently cancelled my subscription as the content has fallen below what I find acceptable. If your company is going to continue to treat subscribers in this way I will have to review my MEW subscription as well.
I would welcome your comments on the above.
Yours faithfully,
Andrew Mawson
Chairman,
SM&EE
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Andrew, perhaps the full designation of SM&EE should have been used as some of these educated twonk's may not link it to other sales. Can you get other members to do the same ?
I'll also write signing it John Stevenson, MBE and hope that he doesn't realise it stands for Motor Bike Engineer................. -- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
John Stevenson
Thanks for posting the MD contact details Andrew. I too have written a letter and demanded that my subscription be extended such that I am not charged for the plans issue. I've also suggested that if they care to pay the postage I will gladly return the plans issue forthwith.
Bob
Reply to
Bob Minchin