MEW Subscription cheaper in USA than UK??

Well according to this llink here:
It cost's 45 for a years subscrition to MEW in the UK, but only 42.50 for a years subscription to the USA?
Something wrong there methinks.
Peter
.Peter, My kind regards to you and yours but prices of everything vary. If I leave Newcastle and fill up with Diesel, the price will have changed before I get to Sufflok- wherever that is! Moreover, it will have changed at each of the filling stations. Again, grap a hold of the Sunday Times in England it will be 2 but 10p cheaper in Scotland- but with an extra Ecosse section for the Scots who can speak - Ecossais. However, in France it will be 5 Euros but missing a whole swathe of reading whereas in Spain , there will be more pages but a few cents cheaper. Only the Vatican knows what happens when one goes from the French Savoie into La Thuile on the Italian side but it is only separated with a barrel of boozy St Bernard dogs.
It can dafter with a house split into two rating authorities- and this is not some daft European edict but this sequestered isle. I would dare tell you that my house has two numbers. It all depends on which way you drive up a one way street. Of course, you have to be able to determine whether the rates and taxes because one set call it Alayor whilst another lot call it Alaior.
It makes Magicalia who is now called- nah, I've forgotten, quite logical.- for once. Cheers and that
Norm

The cost of MEW subscriptions is, to say the least, ambiguous. My subscription expired recently, and I was invited by letter to renew for 38.25. I was also offered a lower rate of 9 a quarter if I paid by direct debit. However, even cheaper subscriptions (and a free gift) were being advertised in the magazine for new subscribers. After contacting the editor, I was recommended to let my subscription lapse, and to take out a new one on-line. I did this, and paid just 31.49 (and got a useful gift which I reckon is worth about 10).
Mike

Best bet is to renew "on line" via the offer published in ME or MEW. The latest ME offer (E990) is 99.73 for 54 issues (two years) via 'phone or Snail-Mail but only 89.75 "on line". That' a hellofalot cheaper than direct debit by 'phone or "snail mail" at 12.99 a quarter (103.92 total !).
The current MEW offer (E980) is 63.00 for two years but only 56.70 "on line". By DD "on line" it's 7.87 per quarter = 62.48 total vs 8.75 per quarter by 'phone or "snail-mail"
You MUST go to the offer URL (currently www.subscriptions.co.uk/mde/E990), because going directly via www.subscriptions.co.uk home page will usually get you the "top dollar" price (cover price times number of issues).
I often receive a "special renewal cost for valued subscribers" letter which quotes another figure - somewhere between the published price in the Magazine and "top dollar". Same with either ME or MEW.
A letter to the pblisgers received a "we try to offer the best cost which is continually changing - and it's up to you to choose what you think is best for you"
BYW. I just renew when I see a good offer - after I've had the reminder or my subscription check "on line" indicates I'm near to the last issue on the current sub. I've always received the offer (book, "measuring stick", etc) and my renewal starts with the first issue after the current sub runs out.

I've always noticed that subscriptions to ME and MEW could be really odd:-
I always receive a "snail-mail" reminder with a "special renewal rate for one year". Going to the www.subscription.co.uk website yo check my outstanding issues and checking on the renewal cost often showed the most expensive rate - usually full cover price x number of Issues without the ability to reproduce my "special renewal rate for one year". On the other hand, contacting the phone number and quoting the latest offer in the Mag, usually got me a better deal than both of these. So that was three different rates in total.
I wrote to the Mag publishers and received a "we try to offer the best deal and you can choose which you want" type letter.
Recently, the Mags have published offers which include a special web- page which, if used, gives the same deal as "on the 'phone" with additional "on line" savings.
That doesn't mean that they've completely cured the anomolies, for example :- Model Engineer recently had two years subscriptions (54 issues) bought "on line" for 89.92 (Offer E942) or 89.75 (Offer E943). The current Offer (E990) is 99.73 bu 'phone or letter, but 89.75 "on-line".
BTW. You don't need to let your subscription run out to receive the best deal. Just renew it via the "on line" special offer URL and you'll receive the book, gift, "measuring stick", etc, and the updated subscription will start one issue after the current one expires. At least, it has for me.
Regards Andy
Having made direct contacted with David Clark (editor of MEW) regarding this topic I received the following response, with the request that I put it on this group's pages.
Hi Mike
Can you post the following to 'uk.rec.models.engineering' am not a member of that group.
Regards
David
Model Engineers' Workshop subscriptions
Subscriptions are handled by a third party company. Sara Sharp is not an employee of Magicalia, in fact I think she may be a fictitious person invented by the subscription company.
Magicalia has re-branded to MyHobbyStore Ltd. It has not gone bust nor is it likely to. It is a change to brand as a hobby magazine publisher, the parenting and motorbike titles being hived off to a separate group so we can concentrate on our core hobby market. . The only way to get a cut price subscription is by using one of the offers in the magazine.
I have now started selecting the offers and although I have not seen the offer first hand. The items selected are sold at retail for about £20 to £30 by the company we purchase from. The recent digital calliper offer is sold retail at about £27.from Shesto.
The price of a subscription varies depending on the offer. Also, we have a subscription marketing budget, which is used on occasions throughout the year to lower the price. Sometimes a big discount is offered only.
We do monitor offers to see which is the most popular.
The alternative is to have one fixed price, no offers and probably no readers. The fixed price would probably be higher than the offer price.
I don't know why the USA subscription is lower than the UK but I have asked the question and am awaiting the reply.
Model Engineer also looks cheap to the states at the moment. I suggest you take advantage of it immediately.
I am bringing up subscriptions at next years planning meeting in a weeks time.
I would like to set a basic price for a subscription and the cost of the gift. The reader always has the option of taking the best discount offer.
Anyone who has a comment on subscription prices or problems can email me at ……
snipped-for-privacy@myhobbystore.com
--
Mike Whittome