MEW

Gentlemen,

I also get MEW but its not due until the 15th of DEC do subscribers get it a week early.

Reply to
campingstoveman

And the mugs like me who purchase copies at the newsagent - and feel like they've been mugged.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Alerted our comrades over at Model Engineering Clearing House, hopefull

they will join the crusade.

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

Absolutely - the "SM" bit may be particularly prone to misinterpretation by these twonks - and they're probably still trying to decode the "EE"" ...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Tony, anything we should know, I had most problems with the SM part. The "E" is easy if you are under 30 (not me). So I think you have cracked it with SM and "E" Everywhere would appeal to some - allegedly. I suppose both "leanings" would be in ecstasy. [VBG]

Regards Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Andrew -

Having just spoken to the erstwhile editor of MEW (and by the way, David had nothing to do wth this particular debacle), the situation seems to be as follows:

Apparently, Owen Davies (MD or whatever of Encanta) said that it wasn't the original intent to include the plans mag as a subscription issue (although someone must have OK-ed the print run, so I take this with a pinch of salt), but it happened, and yes, it is currently being regarded as one of the subscription copies, thereby reducing the duration of the sub by 1 real issue of MEW.

However, he says that if you complain, then your subscription will be re-instated to include the right number of real issues of the mag. He did suggest complaining to the company and not sending the complaints directly to him (Owen Davies), but I personally feel that it will be good for Owen's soul to hear, see and read the depth of feeling that exists in their readership on this matter. Therefore, if you want to write to him, the address is:

Owen Davies Encanta Media Ltd Berwick House

8-10 Knoll Rise Orpington Kent BR6 0EL

His office phone number (or at least the number of his admin) is:

01689 899222

His email address is:

snipped-for-privacy@encanta.co.uk

If possible, include your subscription number along with your name and address, but they should be able to look up your subs details from just name/address/postcode if (like me) you haven't recorded the subs number anywhere.

Please circulate this information in other fora where it may reach more MEW subscribers.

Happy writing -

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

So they won't get the credit unless they complain?

Nice bit of customer service that. They deserve everything they get.

Reply to
bigegg

That is apparently what Mr Davies has said.

Absolutely.

Complain early and often.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Well bugger me! Since the 'issue' doesn't have an issue number and isn't the issue number 121 that is due out on Friday the 15th, I shall certainly throw my teddy out of the pram if my subscription doesn't last for the requisite number of proper issues.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Tony Jeffree writes

Perhaps we should all make a swoop on their stand at Olympia in a couple of weeks time!!!!! Could the lack of editorial comment in the 'plans' issue be to mask the loss of the ME exhibition?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

Reply to
alan

rip-off?

A RESULT !!!!!!

Just got an emailed appology from MEW, and an offer to extend my subscription for a further issue - any one else heard back from them yet?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Yes, just received the same: "I am sorry that you were dissatisfied on this occasion, it was a one-off publication to relaunch the plans service since we have had numerous requests to do so. We will, of course, ensure that your subscription is renewed on the usual issue."

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Yep - had a similar response back from Owen Davies. I think from his wording he is still missing the point:

"Thank you for your comments. We will of course extend your subscription. I'm sorry we couldn't satisfy you on this occasion - there are people who have been delighted to see us relaunching the plans service but I understand that it's not the case for everyone. We're now using Bill Burkinshaw to run the service so I'm hopeful that the service will now be of real value to the Model Engineering community, after years of letting it wither on the vine."

I have no problem whatsoever with them re-launching the plans service

- I'm sure it will be a valuable resource; however, they should not have expected to be able to do it at my (our) expense. So that prompted another volley, suggesting to him that he would be ill advised to pull another stunt like that if he wants to keep his subscriber base intact.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

service

Oh dear is that the last of the Tony Jeffree articles in MEW then !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I hope not, I have spent many a long dark winters evening spotting spelling mistakes, ink blobs and downright lies. Parlor games will never be the same...............................

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

And that was in the final, published versions :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Yep! Got an email from Owen Davis as follows: Dear Mr Gordon,

I am sorry that you were dissatisfied on this occasion, it was a one-off

publication to relaunch the plans service since we have had numerous

requests to do so. I confirm that we will not count this issue towards

your subscription.

Thank you for taking the time to write to me.

Kind regards

Owen Davies

Reply to
swarfmaker

message

towards

Good to see that is the line they are taking but what about all the poor people who bought them off newsagents shelves - they are marked up at £3.75 and were in sealed plastic envelopes so the contents couldn't be seen prior to purchase.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The 'issue' came onto the nation's high street book stalls wrapped in plastic so that the real details were hidden- but at a price of =A33.75.

OK, I'm a tite a$$ed git and on my way to "Who wants to be a Millionaire", phoned a friend!

Frankly, my thoughts were of the South Sea Bubble yet again

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674