collet chuck

I've got a metric collet set from Chester and a load of imperial mills so fancy a few imperial collets for this chuck. I've given up asking Chester technical questions so how can I tell if my set is ER25 or what? my collets are all 24mm max dia and 20.2mm in the groove. Methods/tools for getting the mt2 taper out of the mill quill that don't involve big hammers would also be really useful - this thing isn't a Bridgeport (Sieg X1 clone) and won't stand up to it - not when I hit it for sure. Cheers, Andy Parker

Reply to
Andy

Sounds like ER25 The last number of the collet system stands for the size [ approx ] in mm.

Arc Euro used to supply a self extracting drawbar for the X1 as part of the prepared machine. They have stopped doing this but a phone call may get you details of how it works.

It was something like a collar on the top and a retention ring on the drawbar so as you loosened it it popped the collet out.

Possible these very detailed instructions might help you to design your own ?

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

My method for removing MT2 items from the Myford ML7 headstock and tailstock is to rap them sharply with a bit of 5/8" brass bar about a foot long. This isn't particularly violent, but works without fail (ok, I might have to adjust the force slightly after using a 1" drill, or being enthusiastic with a draw bar :-). You shouldn't need much more than this.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

AND

Can you post a link to the chuck you have please.

Is it the one at the top of this page?

If it is that one, the collets may be unique to this chuck.

Are the mills you have plain or threaded shank? If the mills thread into the collets, it's not an ER chuck.

If it is an ER-series chuck, there is no distinction between imperial and metric collets.

Reply to
John Montrose

Could be, can't tell for sure, same description as mine but I got mine for about £31 this August, part no 003-101

Mills are mainly threaded but collet chuck isn't - doesn't care so long as mills are parallel sided.

I suppose at the price I paid I shouldn't be complaining - won't stop me though!

Reply to
Andy Parker

That's the one in question on Chester's site. Unfortunately not ER25 and set of imp collets at current Chester prices will set you back £49.95 + the VAT..ouch.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Houghton

Oh well - serves me right, I suppose those mills weren't such a bargain after all. Thanks

Andy Parker, Agate House Lapidary Ulverston, Cumbria, England snipped-for-privacy@agatehouse.co.uk

Andy Parker

Arc Euro does indivual ones at about 7 quid each.

.