Ay up chuck!

My metal hacking needs are catered for by a Chinese multi-purpose machine (Chester 'Model B'), but I have to admit that the mill/drill head has hardly
ever been used for the former operation due the lack of a proper tool holding capability (yes, I have tried using the drill chuck with predictable results!). I am looking to rectify this and am trying to choose between the 'own brand' collet chuck that Chester sells which needs a separate collet for each shank diameter or an 'ER' chuck where each collet appears to cover a small range, enabling one set to cover both metric and imperial. There is an ER25 set sold from Hong Kong on ebay shops which works out a good deal cheaper than the Chester set by the time you add in the cost of all the collets, but are there any drawbacks to the ER system - I've always though of a collet as inherently single size device.
I know there are some 'proper' engineers out there - any advice gratefully received.
Nick H
I know it isn't what you asked but I've had one of these for some years and been very pleased with it. http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cmd1225c-mill-drill/path/metal-lathes-milldrills They're quite expensive compared to the cheap pillar drills but are much more rigid and capable. In fact, you don't need a pillar drill if you've one of these. They come up for sale on ebay and other places if you keep your eyes open.
John
(snip)
J> I know it isn't what you asked but I've had one of these for some years J> and been very pleased with it. http://www.machinemart.co . uk/shop/ J> product/details/ cmd1225c-mill-drill/path/metal- lathes-milldrills
The beasty I have is similar to the CL500M from the same company:- http:// www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cl500m-metal-lathemill-drill/ path/metal-lathes-milldrills Hardly the last word in machine tool sophistication, but it packs a fair bit of capability into a small area which is important when you have only a small single garage to servers as workshop, engine shed and material (junk!) store. What type of milling chuck do you use?
nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

I bought 2MT ER25 system for use in my lathe last year, and I wish I had bought it sooner. I bought it to hold end mills as holding these in the lathe chuck wasn't always successful, they would sometime be drawn into the work. Since then I have found them very useful for holding small work while I turn it. You are right - each collet covers a small size range - this is the range over which they can be pinched down by the collet chuck. They are ideal for my one-off needs, one set fits all.
I can't tell you the type though, I bought the chuck one place and the collets from Germany - but for all I know they both originated in China.
Steve

Thanks for that Steve - I can feel my wallet twitching!
Nick H

Should have said that machine tool questions do well pitched up on uk.rec.models.engineering - nice bunch of people there too, but the name is a bit out. It handles far more than model engineering - its more like home workshop. Many contributors frequent both groups and more.
Steve
wrote (snip):-

Arrived yesterday from HK and look fine though yet to try it out. Vendor CTC tools on ebay BTW.
Nick H

Remember you need a drawbar on the chuck to hold it in the MT.
Steve
A piece of metric or BSW threaded rod and two nuts, most likely metric.
Martin P
wrote (snip):-

The Chester Multi-Purpose tool has an M12 drawbar for the mill/drill head
Nick H.
I have bought tools for my Clarke in the past that occasionally need English threads.
Martin P

Fitted chuck, popped in an 11mm slot drill and assaulted a piece of scrap brass. Very satisfying - all felt so much more 'secure' than trying to use a drill chuck. Now to find something usefull to do!
nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Site Timeline

  • - the site's newest thread. Posted in