R8 chuck/holder

I use the J&L cheapie fine pitch ripper cutters, but having got through so many I have decided to get some decent ones. Being tight, I often see on eBay the flatted shank or Weldon style cutters, but don't seem to be able to find a metric holder for these with an R8 taper. I want to hold both 8 and

12mm cutters. Any pointers welcomed Thanks Bob
Reply to
Emimec

through so

Could you not just ream a suitable hole in an R8 blank arbor, and cross drill and tap for the set screw?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I suppose that is one alternative worth considering if I can not locate a proper holder.Thanks

Reply to
Emimec

A Weldon holder or a plain holder (collet) for 8 and 12mm? You can ignore the Weldon flat. They are held well in collets (ER or the like).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

This R8 stuff is a real learning curve. I'm so used to good 'ole 40int Clarkson's. I dread the thought of ever using the original Bridgeport type of collet, to the point of I only have one, and that came with the machine, and hopefully I have lost it !!! Thanks Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Arc Euro. R8 12mm end mill holder 050-090-01100 £10.95 No 8mm listed as it's not a standard size, in metric it goes 6,10,12 and 16

What about holding direct in a collet ?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Bob

Reply to
Emimec

What about an R8 to ER32 collet chuck and then the collets can be used in other applications. I have found that the Bridgeport's collets are OK is the bloody machine that's not strong enough............................

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

You'll laugh when I tell you I miss my old Victoria V1 (or was it a V2 ? ) mill, strong as an ox !!! I don't want to get into weird collets, like ER stuff on top of R8 and QC 30 on my other mill. I'll get a 12mm from Arc Euro as you suggest, give the good "cheapies" on eBay a go, if that fails, I'll take a deep breath and lay out for proper screwed shank fine pitch rippers from a well known company. Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Bob

Nothing weird about ER collets! Just about all I use now apart from 5c and 16c in the lathes. ER collets get used on the manual bridgeport, BT30 holders on the VMC, and even in the turrets of all the lathes.

Use em for milling, drilling or whatever. I mainly use ER16's and 32's.

If your R8's are not gripping then it's not tight enough or worn probably.

Wayne.....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Go for an ER collet chuck.The ER collet with the proper chuck can be used on all machines.Once you have the ER collet chuck you can pick up individual collets so it can hold all your milling cutters and straight shank drills and you will never need to take the chuck out the spindle. I don`t see the benefit of using rippers in a Bridgeport though,it`s hardly got enough power and rigidity to turn an ordinary cutter.In fact I used a Bridgeport I bought to sell for a job once and found I could slow the machine down before I pulled endmills out of an R8 collet. Mark.

Reply to
mark

Wayne, I use Clarkson's only, never used the one R8 collet that came with the machine. Don't trust them, looks like the cutter can be pushed up into the collet (I will be in touch about the boards over the weekend). Bob

Reply to
Emimec

The 2hp motor has pleny of power and go through 6mm plate like a knife through butter. I only use 8mm and 12mm cutters. I wouldnt dream of putting a 32mm through like my old Victoria could

Reply to
Emimec

On 7 Mar, 22:36, "Emimec" The 2hp motor has pleny of power and go through 6mm plate like a knife

You have just agreed with me,the Victoria probably only had about a

3hp motor. Mark.
Reply to
mark

It has a 3/4 hp on the vertical head, 2 hp on the horizontal. --

Chris Edwards

Bob

It's actually more likely the cutter will be pulled from the collet, it's happened to me on a few occasions!

For smaller cutters I quite like the Conventry Toolholder EasyChange system I have. Converts the spindle to something not unlike a QC30, which takes ER16 - ER32 holders. But not a cheap device. I usually only buy holders when J&L have them on offer, which is fairly often.

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

I don't think you have the right machine in mind, follow this link

for a very similar machine, mine was a Victoria V1, newer ones were called Elliott I believe. I think the motor was more in the region of 3 or 4 horse, possibly more. I wanted better accuracy than this brute could offer. For roughing out though, this machine was the bee's knees. The previous owner was so happy to tell me how he ripped out a the start of a washing up bowl mould in next to no time !!! Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Ooops!! wrong link, this is the beast,

also it states a 2hp motor ??

Reply to
Emimec

I assumed you were referring to the Elliot 'Victoria' --

Chris Edwards