CNC an X1 again!

I just can't put this one down! In previous threads I've had great advice and Tony's excellent write up on the Taig and somebody mentioned motion controll products ltd. I am looking at the following:-

57BYGH726 steppers
controllers
power supply
a breakout board. Am I in the right area here or am I missing something really simple?

Yes I konw I've got to wire it all up, mount the steppers etc etc - I'm fine with that but just unsure about speccing the kit above.

The mills an X1 - well Chester Cobra - same thing! Cheers, Andy Andy Parker, Agate House Lapidary Ulverston, Cumbria, England snipped-for-privacy@agatehouse.co.uk

Andy Parker

Personally I'd go for the 542 driver just to have a bit spare under my belt. Not a big believer in running electronics flat out.

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

I think you mean PS487 for the power supply.

Note that this PS generates a higher voltage than the MSD325 is rated for (max 32V) so this PS is ABSOLUTELY NOT suitable for those drivers

- you will probably blow them up. So if you stick with those drivers you would need to find a PS that has a max voltage of 30V, preferably

28V.

The motors are a higher current than that driver can deliver (max

2.5A). Yes, you can run the motors in "bipolar series" connection at a lower current, as the spec sheet suggests, but you lose out both ways by doing this - the relatively low max voltage, coupled with the 4 times inductance that you get running the motors series connected will have a big impact on the high speed end of operation.

A better combination would be:

57BYGH728 (not 726!) steppers wired bipolar parallel

PS478 power supply

MDS 542 (as John has suggested), set for 3A/phase (yes, the spec sheet says you can up this to 4.2A/phase in parallel, but actually, you gain very little from doing this and the downside is that the microstepping "bunches" around the full step positions due to magnetic saturation of the motor, and the motor doesn't run as smooth). There's also no point in setting the driver for more than 8 or 10 microsteps by the way - more than that and a) there isn't any benefit in resolution or smoothnes, and b) the computer may run out of steam attempting to generate the pulse rates you need.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

That should have read PS487...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Cheers Tony and John, correct bits duly ordered, if the lights go out in Cumbria it was me!

Reply to
Andy Parker

Take a look at

for a blow by blow account of a conversion as it happens. not mine, a bloke I work with.

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson