12x32 threads

Were 12/32 threads fairly common once upon a time. I have an old Model T buzz coil I'm trying to replace the rusty nuts with brass. One post is

10/32 and the other 4 are larger than a 10 and smaller than a 1/4. I'm in a quandry. Any suggestions

Hank

Reply to
Hank

They were pretty widely used in the first half of the 20th century.

Make you own 12-32 nuts. Buy a 12-32 tap from Brownells (less than $2), buy some 10-32 nuts, and retap them. For brass nuts you don't even have to worry about drilling them out first.

Reply to
Jack Erbes

Sounds like the old 3/16" stove bolt to me.

Reply to
clare

For all practical purposes a #10 is a 3/16, not a #12. Only

0.002 difference in major diameter between a #10 and a 3/16. A #12 is 0.028 bigger than a 3/16.

Dick

Reply to
D.B.

Nope, that's a 10-24.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Thanks guys:

I was able to purchase a 12x32 tap from a local gunsmith this morning. Ran it thru the 10/32 brass nuts. Now everything looks pretty.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Actually the stove bolts were 12-24 most of the time. And you can get the tap for that from Brownells also.

And then there is the number 14 machine screw series...

Reply to
Jack Erbes