Well I've done it again.

As folks may be aware a week or two ago I ripped up my yard(s) and re- laid them. Today was the day I had intended to (a) re-wire the new yards and (b) make a start on some of the more architectural scenery. Well the best laid plans of mice and men, so they say.

I'd glued up an assembly last night; that was going to be the carcass for an embankment and bridge but when I went to put it in place this morning I knocked off a couple of locking lugs. No big deal I thought, dab of glue out with the spring clamps and I'll be back on plan by lunch time. What to do in the meantime, oh what to do.

"I know, I can crack on with the wiring", first job, salvage all the switches from the two now defunct control panels. So I sat there, snipping wires and unscrewing the switches. More fool me though, for as I was engaged on this somewhat mindless and repetitive task I allowed my eyes to wander over the main line. And it occurred to me that the tunnel mouth at the far end of the station (opposite to teh end I was supposed to be working on) was on reflection a little close to the station, being as it *was* (you can tell what's coming can't you folks?) only about 3 feet from the start of the pointwork at the station throat.

Now before I go much further I should point out that I'd made a good start to the scenery at that end of the layout. Lots of embankments and retaining walls, painstakingly built from plywood, covered in plaster, or plaster bandages with a top coat of plaster. The plaster being carved in to exquisite stonework, representing untold hours of work.

I also ought to add that an important part of my narrow-gauge lies over that particular tunnel as it runs down from the quarry on the far wall. It levels out above the tunnel, splits in to two roads (storage siding and headshunt) then zig-zags down a rather steep incline to the exchange sidings with the main line. Still hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Anyway, I was fixated on the approach to the station and I sort of thought to myself that I could cut back the tunnel, re-jig the narrow- gauge (a little or so I thought) and get another few feet of run in the open for the mainline. So out came the jigsaw and a new embankment took shape. But it looked silly, to I chopped away the side that laid between the mainline and the sidings and that looked better, it did, honest it did (that's the point where the first of the really good plaster work was ripped out)! But then I was left with a bit of orphaned 009 gauge track on a spur stuck out like a sore thumb, 4 inches above its surroundings on the most improbable geology ever. Well no prizes for guessing what came next, more jigsaw, a little hammer (well quite a big one actually) and away went the spur.

OK it was then time for a bit of real head-scratching. The passenger part of the narrow gauge was OK - it runs behind all the above to the mainline station. But the quarry part was a little stuck, no way of getting to the most beautifully crafted incline imaginable. Indeed very little chance of getting to the exchange sidings at all. Then came the brain wave. What if I move the turn-out that lead to the exchange siding about 6 feet closer to the quarry and bring it down a new incline parallel to the main line (hidden at this point by the remainder of the tunnel) but on an opposite alignment. Great, I could ease the angle of descent by at least half and by ending the incline at the bottom in a half spiral - a bit like the modern Festiniog it's run directly in to the exchange sidings (which would have to be re aligned a little plus I'd get a couple of storage sidings in as well down at the bottom in sensible locations. So I moved the turn-out.

I'm now in the process of carving a track out of a nearly finished hill, a hill that's been built out of plywood, covered in plaster bandages, sculpted with yet more plaster (stained in a suitable earth colour of course), had dry stone walls built upon it, indeed had everything done on it bar having the final ground cover applied.

Oh, and just as I was finishing I thought that I'd put that carcass in at the other end of the layout, after all that's what I had meant to do today. It fitted perfectly ... then I knocked off a couple of locating lugs ...

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Flanders & Swan "The Gasman Cometh"!

Reply to
Bruce

I don't know how to break this to you but Tony Blair is no longer the Prime Minister!

(kim)

Reply to
kim

And you did all this in *one* day? Amazing!

Reply to
MartinS

"kim" wrote in news:NMednfrEzM1eIY snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

You've lost me mate ????

Reply to
Chris Wilson

MartinS wrote in news:4712da3c$0$47160$892e7fe2 @authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

'Lecci Jigaw, hammer and dremmel with a circular saw blade is all it took ... oh and reckless abandon!

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Bruce wrote in news:jbWdnWL7WKzQCo snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

LOL

Reply to
Chris Wilson

This was in the signature of your initial post:

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote in news:E-- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Ahhhh ... I see said the blind man (note to self: Change Sig!)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

I suppose you could always replace it with a petition to remove Menzies Campbell as Liberal-Democrat leader? :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Who from what? Sorry you've lost me again, is it a pop group?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

I do envy your apparent ability to isolate yourself from the vagaries of British politics :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

In message , JimGuthrie@?.?.invalid writes

Surely it's not that difficult? If you spend all day rebuilding your layout you can't listen to the radio for fear you'd lose your concentration and mess things up. When things happen as quickly as they have, you'd not know about them.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Jane Sullivan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk:

Actually I was having a Louis Armstrong day ... until I put on the Wagner. Down in the valley in Biggin Hill you can't get AM radio (Captial Gold!!!) without the aid of a 20' arial. And I can't be doing with all this new fangled FM stuff.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Chris Wilson writes

FM is last century's technology. Digital is the way to go.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

The message from Jane Sullivan contains these words:

Off Topic, however I agree with the first bit, but I have some doubts about the second. Using FM I can pick up many more radio stations that I can with digital, because the DAB radio only picks up the stations it can find with strong signals, bearing in mind that with digital the signal is rejected if it's too weak. We're in a difficult location for reception, so only the Merseyside stations come in on DAB, I can't get Radio Stoke, GMR, Radio Lancashire, etc (all useful stations with programmes I've enjoyed for years) unless I use FM - so I do. DAB is fine - but limited.

Reply to
David Jackson

I am isolated by 3,000 miles of ocean. If I didn't download Bremner, Bird and Fortune, I'd have no clue what is going on in Blighty. As it is, I don't know who half the impersonated characters are.

Rory Bremner has an uncanny ear for voices, though. Whenever I hear the Archbishop of Canterbury or William Hague I think it's Rory.

Reply to
MartinS

So I suppose digital or satellite radio would be totally out of the question? Not to mention tele-vision.

Reply to
MartinS

I remember VHF (FM) stereo coming in in the UK in the 1960s.

In the late 50s, BBC experimented with stereophonic broadcasting on Saturday mornings using BBC TV audio for one channel and the Third Programme for the other - neither were otherwise in use at that time.

"My voice should be coming to you from the speaker on the right. I'm now going to walk over to the left side of the studio..."

Reply to
MartinS

MartinS wrote in news:47182ded$0$47116$892e7fe2 @authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

Nope, sorry you've lost me entirely now, are you still commuinicating in English? :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson