I've had enough!

I unsubscribed from this group about a year ago when the signal to noise got really low. I tried it again for awhile recently- it hasn't improved.

OT wouldn't be bad in a group with a couple of dozen posts a day, but when we are around 250-300 a day, it is just too much work scrolling through all the OT stuff.

Setting up kill files for every now piece of junk is even more work than scrolling through it.

When this becomes a moderated group I'll be back. Till then, bye!

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I use my killfile very lightly (mainly killing xposts to misc.survivalism), and I find this group to be supremely helpful and a great place to hang out.

Ignoramus11278

So, I'm wondering if the complaints about OT posts comprise less than 75% of the OT posts?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

(snip OT whine about OT stuff - without an OT: in the headers)

Too bad you didn't just make a global killfile with *OT:* as a rule. Ah well.

Door...ass...way out... you know how it goes.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Sorry to see you go, but I understand. I skip most of the threads labeled OT and many of the on topic threads that have been gone over and over previously.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Watch out for that doorknob.

You sound like the guy who lives in a gated community. HOA rules. No allowances for anything but strictly controlled circumstances and no ability to deal with anything else.

Yes, there are a lot of OT things here. You're an adult. Cope. But to read about it and then bitch is like eating a steak and sending the plate back to the cook with a complaint.

If you can't see past the sand to see the beautiful sea, I'll see you.

Did I just say that?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

You're missing some good stuff, Dan. It's gooder than Desperate Housewives sometimes. High drama. And all you have to do is sit back and watch the loonies rassle.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Don Stauffer mentioned:

when we are around 250-300 a day, it is just too much work scrolling through all the OT stuff.<

I sure know what you mean there Don. Why, my finger gets so sore scrolling sometimes only beer will help the pain ;). Waaaaaa....

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Sorry about the double post, but I got so excited with the cleverness of my comment I hit the send button prematurely. What I intended to say was:

Steve sez: "If you can't see past the sand to see the beautiful sea, I'll see you." And my retort would be: Steve, that reminds me of the Southern Mileamore Bird; you know, sticks his head in the sand and whistles through his ass and you can hear him for a mile or more.

Bob (not always OT) Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I should think that Tee-Nut is turning in his grave, a much missed metalworking poster to this group.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Sorry to see you go, and like mom and day said to me,

"Write if you find work."

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Irony (def): Posting to a newsgroup complaining about OT content, and not labeling the post OT.

-D

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Don Stauffer wrote in news:fh2Gf.4$4e6.698 @news.uswest.net:

Don't let the doorknob hit ya where the good lord split ya. Anyone too lazy to get a real newsreader that can properly filter, very easily, isn't needed anyway.

Reply to
Anthony

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, Anthony.

You're missing the point completely.

Look at the title of the newsgroup, look at the posts to the newsgroup.

People posting completely on-topic items are completely drowned out by the OT and unrelated posts.

You know that anyway, so I am doubtless wasting my processor time telling you, but there was a time when rec.crafts.metalworking was one of the better newsgroups, both for original content and for helping out newcomers to the metalworking world.

Now it is just a jumble of folks using the group as their own personal discussion site.

I'll have joined Don by the time you read this, so please don't expound too much of your time by replying. I also was here 4 years or more ago and it hasn't improved with age.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter A Forbes

(My) Irony (def): My mother calling me a son of a bitch.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

And in all that time, it never dawned on him that there might be a technical solution to solve his signal:noise problem? It's not like killfiles are a secret new technology.

If a guy doesn't ask for help, and doesn't want to use basic tools to change how a group works for him, well, ...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Holy Jeezus Crap! You mean to tell me that newsgroups have changed since

1994?

SOMEBODY SLAP ME!

Of course this newsgroups and all of the Internet has changed since way back. To think otherwise would be unrealistic. To think that things should stay the same old same old is Old Fartism taken to the Nth degree. (I'm an old retired fart who loves this new change. New tools, new ways of doing things, new, new, new everything!)

The dinosaurs die off along the way, and the ones who survive adapt. And old dinosaurs that at least try to change and keep up have an easier time of it, with far less pissing and moaning to disturb the majority.

If you can't adapt, go off in the corner and just lay there like a turd until you die. If you can and want to adapt, welcome to the buffet. Dig in and don't go away hungry.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

And Altovoz, don't forget Altovoz!