Source Of Power Quality Training?

I would be interested in recommendations of purveyors of formal Power Quality Training focused on utility provided, or site generated power in the US. My location is the Pacific NW, but would be willing to travel for the training.

I would prefer that the comments come from those that have taken training, or had other insightful contact with those sources.

I am sure that among the myriad of offerings there are those that stand well above the others, and the attendees are the better for it. I have participated in some that left me less than enlightened. :-[

Thank you.

Louis--

********************************************* Remove the two fish in address to respond
Reply to
Louis Bybee

Reliable Power Meters, RPM used to give seminars. I have attended several of the old ones. They were purchased by Fluke awhile back. CH gives power quality classes. Usually in Warrendale Pa, outside Pittsburgh. Try to get Carnavale (sp) or Hodder as the teachers. I used to work for CH as a field engineer. These guys are really smart. Check around for the your local CH Engineering services office. They might know of local classes. CH's web page is hideous, be patient and creative when you try to do searches. Check your local area for an IEIA chapter, Independent Electrical Inspectors Association. They will know if there is a Power Quality group meeting near you. Here in AZ I belong to APQA, Arizona Power Quality Association. Our meeting is tomorrow. See if you can find the manual for an older BMI or Drantez. They used to have good examples. Emerson/ETI, ElectroTest Inc, used to do classes SqD used to as well I am sure there are others these are the ones that I am familiar with locally.

Short course in Harmonics. Take your DMM that measures hertz and test the circuit. If it reads 60 there is not a problem. If it reads 300 hz then you know there is the 5th harmonic. Now you need a better meter. Lastly acquire a Soars Book on Grounding. A lot of power quality issues can be corrected by applying the NEC Section 250 correctly. Soars has pictures and easy explanations. Good luck

Reply to
SQLit

A very informitive, and helpful reply!

I hadn't considered some of the sources you've listed.

Thank you.

Louis

Reply to
Louis Bybee

I'm fairly sure Bonneville Power conducts classes. bpa.gpv

--s falke

Reply to
s falke

My employer offers Power Quality training

at various times during the year. We include course work and hands on work in our lab. Our lab includes several different kinds of generators, including inverter based, induction, and synchronous.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

I got good one from Siemens (US website, I do not think you can find info about PQ courses on Canadian Website).

Art.

Reply to
art

Johan Lexington