BoBo Electric?

When I was a youngster I had a Hornby BoBo loco modeled on those that used to travel across the Pennines through the Woodhead Tunnel.

The set came with overhead catenery and the loco could pick up either off the track or the overhead.

Does anyone know if that or similar is still available?

Thoughts are mulling for a model layout after a 40 year break!

:-)

Reply to
BJH

Dunno. But Triang did the Co-Co version.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

"BJH" wrote

Trix produced a model of the Bo-Bo EM1 whilst Tri-ang/Hornby did the Co-Co EM2.

Neither, but I think DC kits have produced a kit of the EM1.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

They did a new batch quite recently I think. They may still have some:

Adrian

Reply to
The Bradshaws

Barry wrote:-

Hornby still make locos which pick up from either track or overhead but no longer offer a catenary system. You would have to rely on foreign sources for that.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Or N-Brass Locomotives, who offer catenary based on UK practise in various scales, including 4mm.

(The company name is slightly confusing, given diversification into catenary in several scales).

- Nigel (no connection with N-Scale Brass other than occaisional customer)

Reply to
NC

No, you had a CoCo (EM2) not a BoBo (EM1 Trix made this and is very rare). The EM2's have not been made since the late 60's and these are collectable as well. However DC kits make an EM1 and they have planned an EM2 (last time I looked at their website) regards, Steve

Reply to
titans

Thanks, well it was 40 years ago!

I do remember that there was a sliding switch on the roof to change over from overhead to rail pick up, but I'd forgotten it was a Co-Co. But I've fond memories of watching the trains coasting down from Woodhead Tunnel.

I've had a quick look at the DC kits site and also done a little trawling around the Internet. I was very interested in the Woodhead Tunnel web site and found some good information on the route, so thanks everyone for your interest.

Now I'll start saving up!!!

Reply to
BJH

"titans" wrote

I see you're back home Mr. Cambridge. Good journey I hope?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I purchased a Triang EM2 on eBay last year for £70. It appeared not to work...then I found the switch in the roof switching it from overhead to track...doh! I wanted the blue era and got one..."Pandora".

Triang also made a kit version too. Also note that the Bo-Bo was in fact a Bo+Bo - the bogies were joined together in the middle!

Here's a full list of all the Class 76/77 OO/HO models produced - cannot say which are current - prob DC Kits, Silver Fox and the Dutch ones...: 76 Bo+Bo DC Kits Kit EM1, E26000-57 76 Bo+Bo MSL Hobbies Kit 76 Bo+Bo MTK Kit 76 Bo+Bo Silver Fox 76 Bo+Bo Silver Fox Kit 76 Bo+Bo Trix 77 Co-Co DC Kits Kit EM2, E27000-6 77 Co-Co Kleinspoor Kit Dutch (HO) 77 Co-Co MSL Models Kit 77 Co-Co Philotrain Dutch (HO) 77 Co-Co Philotrain Kit Dutch (HO) 77 Co-Co Triang 77 Co-Co Triang Kit CKD range

Cheers, Steve.

Reply to
Steve News

"Steve News" wrote

Shown as a Bo-Bo in all of the Ian Allan spotters books in the 50s-80s era.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I seem to remember that the prototype was originally built that way and then converted.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

The EM1s were Bo+Bo thoughout their lives, the buffers and couplings being on the bogie frames which were coupled together in the centre of the loco. Thus all traction and braking forces were transmitted through the bogie frames, the body just sitting on top and going along for the ride. Ian Allan was just being careless in application of the notation, very common error. NB the EM2 was a conventional Co-Co. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

"Keith Norgrove" wrote

Thanks Keith, your clarification is appreciated.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Actually IIRC (my "Electra" is not to hand at the moment) the Triang one is really a Co-Bo, with moulded centre wheels on the motor bogie... so that could explain the original poster's confusion!

(ab)

Reply to
ab

That doesn't make it a Co-Bo which means a loco with one three axle bogie and one two axle bogie as in the Metro-Vick diesels.

Once you start defining the actual configuration of the models rather than the prototypes they represent you open up a minefield. Triang's Electra and other Triang locos of that vintage had dummy centre wheels which did not touch the rail or revolve so cannot really be considered wheels, as such the loco becomes a B-2, B for a powered bogie with two axles powered and mechanically coupled (only one motor) and 2 for an unpowered 2 axle bogie. (The small o in Bo or Co indicates that the axles concerned are not coupled, ie they have individual motors) In the USA they don't use the small o as locos with coupled axles have always been extremely rare in the US). Keith