Building a baseboard

Hi all. I'm about to start building a new baseboard for a new small layout (4 ft x 15"). My woodworking skills are pretty poor, so need something simple and open plan.

I've posted a picture of how I intend to build it at

. The 4mm ply strips will be

3" high and stick out about 1" above the 2x1 framework. These are to support 2x1 that the 6mm ply trackbed will be fastened to.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated

Reply to
Colin

Colin,

You could build it all from 4mm ply strip.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Let me have your real e-mail address and I will send you details of the easiest and simplest method of making baseboards. Woodworking skills needed - below beginner. All made from plywood, very easy, very strong, very light.

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

hi. its snipped-for-privacy@MISSOUT.tramstop.dyndns.MISOUT.org

Reply to
Colin

Please, Jim, don't keep us in suspense any longer - did the No More Nails adhesive work as well as the gluey bandages?

Duncan

Reply to
Duncan

I must update that damned page :-)

The No More Nails did work as well as the bandage method. It took a longer time to set. The bandage and Unibond method set pretty well rock solid in about 24 hours and the board built with that method was pretty well rigid it that time.

The board built with No More Nails was still quite flexible after 24 hours in that I could twist it out of square relatively easily. Since the glue professed to set within 24 hours, I at first considered the method a failure. However, when I started building the Timesaver layout a month or so later, and considered re-doing the board with bandage and Unibond, I found that it had set solid and was as rigid as its bandaged mate. So the No More Nails does take a fair time to set hard in this kind of application.

I think I would still prefer to use some form or bandage and others have suggested using the strip material you get to cover joints in plasterboard, or strips of hessian, or even strips of cotton liberated from old clothing. The bandage method does spread the stresses of the joint over a wide area which helps, if you are using cheap plywood, to avoid delamination at the joints.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie