AMI Instant Roadbed - How it went (and layout latest if you're interested)

You may remember a few weeks back I asked for information on AMI Instant Roadbed. Anyway, found a supplier, bought a roll, and as promised, letting you know how it went.

It's good stuff - I tended to measure it 'sticky side up', before turning it over and then leaving the backing paper on - that way, I can get the roadbed under all the track, then wire it up, then remove the backing paper, push the track down and apply the ballast. Easy to cut - I used an old craft knife - and I'll certainly use it again.

Major progress on the layout today - the Instant Roadbed can be seen in places on this picture;

(If clicking on the link doesent work, then Cut & Paste - it'll also fail if too many people view it in an hour or so) - as can the majority of the loco fleet. I've also had a change of heart - the Shed was supposed to be where the WD and Q1 are sitting, but I've decided to move it in, and stable the Diesels on the outer side of the MPD - mainly to have space for a Diesel fueling point (Knightwing kit, awaiting construction).

(Left to Right; Hornby Terrier, Heljan Hymek, Bachmann 25, 24, WD, Hornby Q1)

The vans and Terrier are sitting in a siding, with the running line obscured from view. Track is all Peco Code 75, so the different colours (it's all brand new and unpainted as yet), must be down to lighting in the loft). There will be a single-road tunnel mouth (The double one I had planned on using is too big really) more or less at the end of the van siding, leading to the fiddle yard - Would have got all the track laid today, but for running out of fishplates(!).

Aside the obvious - there's too many locos, and you wouldn't have seen them all together etc etc - any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. It's been a long time since I got to this stage with a layout (About 10 years, and I'm 20 in July...) so the posed picture was just to keep me going - it's certainly easier to visualise what I want now.

Reply to
Stu

Out of interest, who was the supplier? I am thinking of trying this and obviously would prefer to source it form the UK.

Reply to
John Ruddy