Cork roadbed transition?

I'm building an N-scale layout using Atlas code-55 flex track sections with a foam board base. The track will have a cork roadbed where it runs in rural areas, to simulate a raised roadbed. However there are areas in the layout where the tracks (ties) should be level with the ground. How should I lay the track in those areas? IOW- How do you make the transition from cork roadbed to laying the track directly on the foam board?

Thanks

Reply to
D&Hfan

Good Morning!

Probably the most difficult but best for the RR is to sink the foam underneath the cork section so the train itself does not make a transition -- and this assumes that you are using cork underneath the foam -- then blend scenery to hide this difference in height of the foam base.

Another suggestion for an actual track transition is to cut a section of foam to make a grade to adjust to the differences in height and then be creative using weeds and shrubs to mask the transition piece.

Waiting for a bus is as thrilling as fishing, with the similar tantalisation that something, sometime, somehow, will turn up. George Courtauld

James B. Holland

? Holland Electric Railway Operation....... "O"--Scale St.-Petersburg Trams Company (SPTC) Trolleycars and "O"--Scale Parts including Q-Car mailto: snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net

? Pennsylvania Trolley Museum

Pittsburgh Railways Company (PRCo), 1930 -- 1950 ? N.M.R.A. Life member #2190;

Jim Holland

I have gled cork to plywood, then used a sureform tool to 'sand' it to a taper.....

Jim Bernier

D&Hfan wrote:

Reply to
Jim Bernier

Take it from me, you want WOOD under your cork roadbed.

At the club that I belong to, we are in the process of redoing a 12x24 modular layout, it was build on a foam board and the foam is deteriorating, so much so that the tracks are vibrating and the trains are uncoupling.

Our mandate now is to make the table, L girder construction, cookie cutter the right of way with wood, glue cork to the wood then tracks to the cork. Foam will only beused for the scenic area.

There is a fellow on The Gauga Forum

who is using this method. His layout has to be seen to be believed. Two levels and there are pictures of 100 car trains running the mainline.

Well worth the look.

Reply to
wannandcan

Reply to
Bruce Gilfillan

Glue the cork down starting at the point where you wan to begin the transition. Then take a belt sander with a real coarse grit belt - say

50 - and sand a taper on the cork.

Dale.

D&Hfan wrote:

Reply to
Dale Gloer

D&Hfan wrote: I'm building an N-scale layout using Atlas code-55 flex track sections with a foam board base. The track will have a cork roadbed where it runs in rural areas, to simulate a raised roadbed. However there are areas in the layout where the tracks (ties) should be level with the ground. How should I lay the track in those areas? IOW- How do you make the transition from cork roadbed to laying the track directly on the foam board?

------------------------------------------------ This is where a piece of AMI Instant Roadbed comes in handy! You don't need to buy a roll of it, though. AMI also makes "Insta Base" (#AAR-18), an 18"x8-/4"x1/8" sheet of the uncured butyl rubber.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

I'm not using cork, but Woodland Scenics foam roadbed, but what I did was to use the foam roadbed sheets (12"x24") in those "level" areas, like yards. Alternatively, you would use 1/4" thick foam sheets from WS in a similar manner.

Oh, and I'm in HO, so the thickness for N might be less.

Ed.

in article snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3198.bay.webtv.net, Bill at snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote on 3/4/04 5:06 PM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates