How to lay cork roadbed under turnout

Hi, can anyone give me suggestions for how to lay cork roadbed where
turnouts will go? I seem to have a very hard time getting the two
"inside pieces" to line up squarely. Is there any easy way to do this?
p.s. I'm building a switching layout right now, and have a ton of
switches in close proximity, aggrevating the problem.
Thanks in advance!
Scott
Reply to
Scott
The recommended practice is to lay the outside straight first. Then lay the outside curve second. Then cut one piece at an angle to complete the straight route. Then cut and fit the last piece on the curve.
Scott wrote:
Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum
There is a cork roadbed product which is precut for turnouts. Whether they fit your particular geometry is unknown, but they seemed sized for #6.
I used the Woodland Scenics roadbed and used 1/2 of a piece each for the straigt and curved sections, fit the double section as close to the divergent ends as possible (sloped shoulders just touching), then cut a flat piece of the material (it is sold in 4x24" pieces) to fill in the sort of triangle piece left. It worked fine.
Ed
in article 9%Bce.26795$ snipped-for-privacy@fe03.lga, Frank A. Rosenbaum at snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote on 4/29/05 7:24 PM:
Reply to
Edward A. Oates
Scott,
if you're building a switching layout based on an industrial area, then you possibly don't need to worry about raising your track too much above the surrounding 'ground'. In industrial areas the rails often sit not much above the dirt. Rather than laying strips of cork in such locations, I simply lay a sheet of it. I've been buying sheets 900mm x 600mm x 3mm (that's about 3' x 2') for AU$5.00 each.
Ron
Reply to
RonMcF
On our Club layout we are building, where we have yards or significant amounts of industrial track and turnouts, we use rolled cork sheet, 4' wide by 50' long rolls from Home Depot (we are half way through our second roll). They will also sell it by the running foot, so you don't need to buy the whole roll. It is used for flooring underlayment, so get it at the tile/rug dept. Uses a mastic type material as an adhesive. Contact cement instructions say it works for this stuff, but it doesn't. (ask me how I know this!)
Good luck.
Reply to
Peter J. Gross
"RonMcF" wrote in message SNIP