Gluing cork to foam and track to cork

I've been testing out various ways of attaching cork roadbed to my foam, and then attaching track to the cork. I've tried liquid nails for projects, and am just finding it a bit of a pain to work with (hard to lay evenly, hard to unplug after it sits and dries, etc.)

Does just using plain elmers white glue work out ok (for both applications - cork to foam and track to cork)?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott

Jerry Abrams

Scott wrote: I've been testing out various ways of attaching cork roadbed to my foam, and then attaching track to the cork. I've tried liquid nails for projects, and am just finding it a bit of a pain to work with (hard to lay evenly, hard to unplug after it sits and dries, etc.) Does just using plain elmers white glue work out ok (for both applications - cork to foam and track to cork)?

-------------------------------------------------- I have used Elmer's white glue successfully. I apply the glue and weights to hold things in place while it dries. I used cans of soft drinks for weights. An occassional track nail helps keep the alignment.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,100 sites:

Bill

Scott) I've been testing out various ways of attaching cork roadbed to my foam, and then attaching track to the cork. I've tried liquid nails for projects, and am just finding it a bit of a pain to work with (hard to lay evenly, hard to unplug after it sits and dries, etc.) Does just using plain elmers white glue work out ok (for both applications - cork to foam and track to cork)?

-------------------------------------------------- An advatage that Elmer's white glue has is that it is easy to remove the track or roadbed if you ever want to change things. A bit of warm water releases the glue.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,100 sites:

Bill

Reply to
Ronald Gardner

I'm using water-based contact cement, brand available here is Lepages. Works very well. Comes in small tubes. Lay down a wiggly line of glue on one of the surfaces to be glued, wipe the other part across it so both surfaces are coated, then wait about 5 minutes for an instant bond (it will work for up to a couple of hours, actually.) If you want to be able to move the parts into position, waits just 2 minutes or so, and use pins to hold the cork/track in place until the glue sets (overnight is best.)

Liquid Nails isn't as good for this purpose because a) you get a very thick bead; and b) it's harder to control that applicator gun. It's good for gluing foam to a substrate such a 1/4" plywood, though.

HTH&HF.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Scott wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I haven't tried laying roadbed with the liquid nails, but as for the unplugging....just don't let it get plugged in the first place. I stick a large nail in the plastic spout when I am not using it. At the size I cut the applicator tip, it just fits. You may need a pair of pliers to grab the head of the nail to pull it out the next time, but it will come out and leave a clear path down the middle of the applicator for the adhesive to flow.

Reply to
Norman Morgan