Saving group postings.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to save and catalog postings from the group? I have saved a lot of postings and combined replies to questions using cut and paste in Word. I have ended up with a lot of documents that are helpful but it is a pain in the you know what to find a item on a specific topic. Any ideas?

Thanks

Richard

Reply to
Richard Foster

Richard=A0Foster wrote: Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to save and catalog postings from the group? I have saved a lot of postings and combined replies to questions using cut and paste in Word. I have ended up with a lot of documents that are helpful but it is a pain in the you know what to find a item on a specific topic. Any ideas?

-------------------------------------------------- I use Google Groups to find archived postings and replies:

Also Newsnet Replayer:

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,100 sites:

Bill

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

I never thought of that. I took a quick look in Word help and it might be what I need. Thanks

Reply to
Richard Foster

It's real easy. Click the cursor where you want the bookmark. Then click on the INSERT menu and about 2/3's of the way down there is "Bookmark". Click on it and then type in what you want to name the bookmark.

To find the bookmark, go to the EDIT menu and click on "Find". Click on "Bookmark" and a list of bookmarks comes up. Click on the bookmark you want.

If you are using headings and other 'outline stuff' you can then make a table of contents and use hyperlinks to do the same thing.

It really isn't hard to do....after you have done it a few times. (;|)

{Experience is what you get just after you didn't have it.}

Richard Foster wrote:

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

Great tip! Thanks Frank!

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Welcome. Any time.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

Very different than what was already suggested, but I usually save as a web page (html), and then have one html page as a table of contents.

This is probably slightly more difficult, and possibly not even as effective, but it is open to any software you might choose to use in the future.

Probably no reason for you to bother with it, but just letting you know there is more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. :-)

-- dw

Reply to
linxlvr

Thanks to all of you. I'll have to get my son, the IT professional, to walk me through and pick the method to use. Thanks again.

Richard F Foster

Reply to
Richard Foster

On Sun, 29 May 2005 08:47:59 GMT, "Richard Foster" claims:

After seeing that you use Outlook express, and the others who offered ways of saving your posts, here is yet another choice. Go to

and get a copy of Free Agent. If you like it, you can upgrade to Agent 2.0. It is a superior news reader and saving posts is a matter of clicking on the save button. Good luck.

Cordially, Ken (NY)

Women's boxing: Float like a butterfly, sting like a... butterfly.

email:

spammers can send mail to snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov

Reply to
Ken [NY]

I'll second that piece of excellent advice. Of course, in Free Agent (and Agent) you can keep a post for ever by just not deleting it!

You've obviously never been in the gym with a female boxer!

Reply to
David Cantrell

Not only this, but I have never been in the gym with a male boxer. I think that I would be 'down' before the bell even finished ringing. (G)

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

How about dropping your saved posts into something like this:

I have never used this software, or anything like it, but I've heard some folks say they do use this kind of thing all the time and just love it.

And don't forget, Google is your friend. Maybe there's something here that strikes your fancy:

HTH, Stevert

Reply to
Stevert