Saving group postings.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to save and catalog postings from the group? I have saved a lot of postings and combined
replies to questions using cut and paste in Word. I have ended up with a lot of documents that are helpful but it is a pain in the you know what to find a item on a specific topic. Any ideas?
Thanks
Richard
RichardFoster wrote: Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to save and catalog postings from the group? I have saved a lot of postings and combined replies to questions using cut and paste in Word. I have ended up with a lot of documents that are helpful but it is a pain in the you know what to find a item on a specific topic. Any ideas? -------------------------------------------------- I use Google Groups to find archived postings and replies:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.models.railroad?hl=en&lr=&safe=off
Also Newsnet Replayer:
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/index.html
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Model Railroad Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Resources--Links to 1,100 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links
Have you been putting 'bookmarks' in the document as you edit it?
Richard Foster wrote:

--
Frank Rosenbaum

The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale
I never thought of that. I took a quick look in Word help and it might be what I need. Thanks

It's real easy. Click the cursor where you want the bookmark. Then click on the INSERT menu and about 2/3's of the way down there is "Bookmark". Click on it and then type in what you want to name the bookmark.
To find the bookmark, go to the EDIT menu and click on "Find". Click on "Bookmark" and a list of bookmarks comes up. Click on the bookmark you want.
If you are using headings and other 'outline stuff' you can then make a table of contents and use hyperlinks to do the same thing.
It really isn't hard to do....after you have done it a few times. (;|)
{Experience is what you get just after you didn't have it.}
Richard Foster wrote:

--
Frank Rosenbaum

The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale
Great tip! Thanks Frank!
Rick
On Sun, 29 May 2005 13:10:20 -0400, "Frank A. Rosenbaum"

-
Welcome. Any time.
--
Frank Rosenbaum

The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale
On Sun, 29 May 2005 08:47:59 +0000, Richard Foster wrote:

Very different than what was already suggested, but I usually save as a web page (html), and then have one html page as a table of contents.
This is probably slightly more difficult, and possibly not even as effective, but it is open to any software you might choose to use in the future.
Probably no reason for you to bother with it, but just letting you know there is more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. :-) -- dw
Thanks to all of you. I'll have to get my son, the IT professional, to walk me through and pick the method to use. Thanks again.
Richard F Foster

On Sun, 29 May 2005 08:47:59 GMT, "Richard Foster"

    After seeing that you use Outlook express, and the others who offered ways of saving your posts, here is yet another choice. Go to http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php and get a copy of Free Agent. If you like it, you can upgrade to Agent 2.0. It is a superior news reader and saving posts is a matter of clicking on the save button.     Good luck.
Cordially, Ken (NY)
Women's boxing: Float like a butterfly, sting like a... butterfly.
email: http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm
spammers can send mail to snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov
said:

I'll second that piece of excellent advice. Of course, in Free Agent (and Agent) you can keep a post for ever by just not deleting it!

You've obviously never been in the gym with a female boxer!

You can save posts in OE as well, you can even save the message in another directory if you want. However, that is not what the OP wanted. He wanted a way to search the saved posts in a word document.
David Cantrell wrote:

Not only this, but I have never been in the gym with a male boxer. I think that I would be 'down' before the bell even finished ringing. (G)
--
Frank Rosenbaum

The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale
Richard Foster wrote:

How about dropping your saved posts into something like this: http://www.bitsmithsoft.com /
I have never used this software, or anything like it, but I've heard some folks say they do use this kind of thing all the time and just love it.
And don't forget, Google is your friend. Maybe there's something here that strikes your fancy: http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Freeware/Personal_Information_Managers /
HTH, Stevert