Cork underlay

Ok.

2*1 timbers - 6mm ply and cork over the top to stop the noise. A fold up against the wall 8 * 4 plus extension into another room "trainset" (a couple of steps up from trakmat - 2 loops controlled from different ends of the layout to stop arguments; all points at the front to enable them to reach derailments; the inner loop raised to allow scenery and decorations (he's made 2 Wills kits :-)) to be left down (and not knocked off by enthusiastic 5yr old fingers)

But do you

1 "cork" the whole board 2 put chunks of cork roughly where the track is going to go, paint it and trim it up after precisely laying the track or 3 Cut out strips of painted cork and try and lay track/cork strips at the same time?

I wasn't planning on ballasting for a while at least.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Wilson

Keith J Patrick

Cork Floor tiles from B&Q, cut to fit where the track is going to go, profile edges and ballast after the track is down.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks.

That was what i was afraid of because it means I have decide on the precise positioning of the track before laying the cork.

A supplementary Q? The two levels are going to be joined by a long curved ply ramp. Do I need to caulk xxxxxx ( just been down my boat replacing one of the wooden planks :-) cork the ramp and the upper loop? I'm envisaging a Wills viaduct holding up part of it; railway arches holding up the far side; a station under the front with some walls around the upper level and then fill in the rest with chicken wire type cliffs.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Wilson

My experience with cork is that it makes very little difference.

If I was starting a brand new layout now, I would strongly consider laminate flooring underlay. It's think, (4/5mm ish but that doesn't matter if everwhere is the same. It's good soundproofing and and cheap by the packet.

Dave

Reply to
David Smith