Class 04 livery question (Dapol kit)

Hi all,

I've got my hands on a Dapol Class 04 kit after looking for a 'scenery' shunter that can just sit in a siding and do nothing* - the parts are moulded in black plastic, and a transfer sheet has running numbers D2277 and D2300 and BR lion-and-wheel logos. Here's the question: Would anyone know if either D2277 and D2300 were delivered in BR black or green? I'd like to get out of painting it if possible, and that's my choice of numbers on the transfer sheet, complete with lion-and-wheel logos. Not knowing a great deal about the late 50s

  • - While my layout can cover anything from BR blue era to present day, and much of my stock is sectorised BR or privatised depending on what I feel like running on a particular day, there is a depot on the layout that has been known to hire in preserved or industrial shunters from time to time, hence it having a preserved green 06 and a soon-to-be-delivered 04. :) I've got the aforementioned 06 and a small fleet of 08s to handle actual shunting, but there's always one or two shunters in depots not doing anything, and the 04 kit was only £5.19.

Anyone know the liveries of said 04s? TIA!

--

***
*** Updating regularly throughout 2004 Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)

Just had a quick look on Google, and found this;

According to the first reference, the transfers for D2300 are available, and according to the top of the screen, "The sets of numbers below are condensed square serif, as applied to green liveried Diesel & Electric locomotives & shunters from 1957 - 1965 ",

So I'd hazard a guess that D2300 at least, was in Green (Couldn't be sure though). The only other thing I've found is on

- both were withdrawn in 1969, D2277 cut the same year, but D2300 'survived' a further

16 years, cut in 1985.

I wouldn't take that as gospel though, but it's all I've been able to find. Hope it helps anyway.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

According to Haresnape 11226 (later D2256) was delivered in 1957 in black with early emblem, D2290 was delivered in 1960 in Green with late emblem. So the change came somewhere in between, possibly with D2260 which was the first one that did not have an early number. But its possible some were delivered in black with late numbers, black ones were certainly renumbered without a repaint.

Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

There was a change in 04 details around the mod D227x range - possibly between 2276 and 2277. The earlier locos had no cutout in the forward footplate, so the shunter could stand safely on the steps. If the kit has come with D2277-2300 numbers, then I would suggest that this is correct and I believe that these were delivered in green.

Note to Bachmann - any shunter numbered D2276 and below with the footplate cutout is incorrect! Also the first 10(?) had smaller cab windows.

There is (possibly was now) a Craftsman conversion kit for a Mainline 03 to

04, which included etched footplate overlays that enabled the D2210-D2276 locos to be modelled. Incidentally, front footsteps are different, as well as the location of the air tanks.

HTH, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

"Keith Norgrove" wrote

I seem to recall that we got D2269 & D2270 brand new at Normanton and in green livery, only to be replaced by D2323 & D2324 not too long afterwards.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Thanks to all who replied - rather than having another green loco in the fleet, I've decided to go for rail blue instead. :)

--

***
*** Updating regularly throughout 2004 Rich Mackin (rich-dot-mackin-at-ntlworld-dot-com)