Scratch-Building a Part

That would be pretty flimsy. Check out the Evergreen Plastic sheeting at your hobby shop. This is the very same plastic your model is made of, so it will react to your glue and putty the same way the model does. The milk bottle plastic will not, and it'll always be too flexible.

Evergreen sheet comes in various thicknesses. You can get an assortment of .01", .02" and .04" sheets in item No. 9008. You can then test the remaining dive plane against the sheet to check for the thickness you'll need. If you need something thicker than .04", the sheets may be laminated together using a quick-setting liquid glue such as Weld-on or Ambroid (do this in small pieces not much bigger than your part to avoid warping and clamp them tightly while the glue cures).

Once you have your part cut to the correct outline, then you can file and sand it to its final shape and nobody will ever notice that it's not the original part.

Reply to
Jessie C

The story so far:

I haven't built a model since I was a teen (I am now in my 40's), and even then I never scratch-built anything. I have recently gotten into U-Boat lore, I read four or five books about them over the summer and I decided I'd like to try my hand at building a model of one.

I went to the local hobby store and found the Revell 1:125 U-99 and started building it with the intention of going all out and weathering it (something else I've never done before). Things were going well, seams that didn't quite match were easily filled with Squadron White Putty (I call it "Bond-O for models"), and the model went together pretty easily.

However in the process I accidentally broke off one of the bow diving planes and didn't notice it until AFTER my roommate found it and, not knowing what it was, threw it away. I couldn't find it in the garbage, and now I am one diving plane short of a full submarine. I need advice on building a new one.

Would the plastic from a milk bottle do? The idea I have is to cut the appropriate shape, only slightly larger, build-up the surface with Bond-O and then sanding, sanding, sanding. Will it glue to the hull alright? Or is there something else that would be a better plan.

Please help this poor novice out. I can't start painting until I have the thing together, and the diving planes are the last parts.

Thanks!

Reply to
Muggsy

(snipped)

Not the same kind of plastic, so it wouldn't stick too well unless you epoxyed it on I think. But you're on the right track. I'd try to find a good hobby shop myself and look at the packages of sheet plastic for models. You could probably find some the right thickness and sand down to the correct shape. Just my 2 cents worth.......Mike G.

Reply to
Mike G.

I'd use sheet styrene as someone else suggested, but you may also be able to use wood to copy the part. If you have one diving plane, use that to measure (even trace around it) the other piece of stock. Then it's a matter of carving and sanding it to shape, and replacing any missing details that might be on it. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Have fun; I frequently lose parts it seems, so I replace them like this all the time!

Where do you live? There is probably a model club near you if you're in a city. IPMS, International Plastic Modeling Society has chapters all over the place. At a meeting like that, you can get some first-hand help.

--- T> The story so far:

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Or you can contact Revell, if they made the sub, and have them send you a replacement diving plane. I would advice to call them first and find out their policy on replacements. Usually it will be to send them the UPC (actually cut the bar code) from the box and the part number you want replaced. If the model is in productions (and I think it still is), you should have the replacement part in about two weeks.

Good luck, and happy modeling,

Ray Austin, TX ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman
[...]

If you don't mind paying a few bucks for postage, and if the kit is still in production, Revell will send you a replacement part:

Right idea, wrong plastic. You may have trouble finding putty, glue, and paint that will stick to it.

Try the small plastic closure tab from a loaf of bread. It's small, flat, and the right kind of plastic. I always toss them in my scraps box, so that I don't have to waste my store-bought sheet styrene when I only need a small piece. Broken boxes from CDs and cassette tapes are also a good source of cheap plastic.

I wouldn't use putty for something like a diving plane. If the plastic isn't thick enough on its own, I'd just glue two or three together with liquid cement, clamp firmly, and let it dry for a day or two. Then cut it out and shape it with files & sandpaper. (You may want to leave a "handle" on the hull side of the part while you're shaping it, so that it's easier to hold.) You may get a thin groove between the layers; just apply Mr. Surfacer 500 or any sandable/filling primer, and sand smooth.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris