Model Railroad Philosophy: What constitutes Scratch Building?

Ben,

In my opinion, scratchbuilding can be defined as building anything that isn't a pre-made kit.

Dave

-- From: Benjamin Barby ( snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca) Subject: Model Railroad Philosophy: What constitutes Scratch Building? Newsgroups: rec.models.railroad Date: 1999/03/10

I was just wondering how 'scratch' something had to be for it to be scratch built.

I wanted to scratch build a car, so I went and bought some nice metal trucks and wheelsets for it, but someone told me that it wasn't scratch build because I purchased parts. So I went to make my own; I got some metal stock and just as I was about half way through, someone told me it wasn't scratch because someone had manufactured the metal. So I went out and got some ore and smelted my own metal, cast it in to ingots, & rolled it down into stock and sheets I could use. OK so far. (There was some grumbling though, because I hadn't made my own lathe)

Then I went out and purchased some scribed wood to use on the car itself. Welll, you can't do that, it's purchased; someone else did the work; so I went and bought plain stock and scribed it myself. Not good enought. So I went and purchased a 2x4... Same thing. So off I went to the forest, and chopped down my own tree, dragged it home and started to dress the wood, when someone informed me that it didn't count, because someone else had grown the tree. So I took a seed, went outside, planted it.....

Years later I was informed that my efforts were in vain because even though I had put the seed in the ground, someone else had created the seed. Not only that, but it wasn't me who personally made the seed grow, it was God, so it didn't count any way.....

So I'm wondering, how scratch does something have to be before it's scratch built?

Benjamin ;-)

I've got waaaay too much time on my hands! :-)

-- Benjamin Barby

snipped-for-privacy@bbqsympatico.ca

Please eat the tasty Barby-Q provided in the e-mail address! That way I don't have to eat the spam later! :-)

Reply to
Dave Rutan

As long as we're into philosophy ...

Is major kitbashing scratch-building?

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Not in my mind. Check the NMRA web site under contests for definitions for what they consider scratch building.

Howard R Garner NMRA Lifer

Reply to
Howard R Garner

Absolutely not. Kitbashing is kitbashing, no matter how extreme, and is based on starting with existing walls or wall sections (in the case of a structure) which are being modified to a new purpose. Scratchbuilding is a different animal altogether, where the modeler's starting point is nothing but basic structural parts such as boards, timbers, structural members (angles, beams, columns), etc.

It's a comparison similar to that of purchasing a modular home and somewhat re-arranging the sections or constructing a stick-built house from the foundation up yourself.

CNJ999

Reply to
JBortle

No doubt this will start something Scratch-building involves using detail parts that are purchased as well as making your own - maybe. There are specific guidelines set out by the NMRA that define what percentage of a model, kitbashed or otherwise, must be built from raw materials in order to qualify as scratch-built. The short answer is yes. The long answer is that it must meet certain criteria to qualify as an official, NMRA sanctioned scratch-built model. It depends on whether or not you want to use the official NMRA criteria to fit your definition. If you want to be recognized and published in the hobby press in the USA, you will conform to the requirements. From what I have seen and derived on my own, they are even stricter in western Europe and the Antipodes than we are in the States and Canada. There are some Brits who maintain that you must make all your own castings and such to qualify. The only way the question can be answered is to refer to the governing authority under which you will be exhibiting your model or making your claim. It is not something that is open to opinion- unless- you are un-sanctioned. In that case, it doesn't matter anyway. One opinion is as good as another.

Reply to
Froggy

What was interesting and head scratching for judges some time ago was; A person who bought a FSM kit. He put the kit in a sack and bought wood parts. He then used the plans and the wood parts to build with. A total scratch built building. So insued a large discussion? (shouting match) as to whether this was a kit or a scratch built building. If I remember correctly as he had the original parts and the receipt for the wood it had to be considered "scratch".

Reply to
Jon Miller

snipped-for-privacy@nac.net (Dave Rutan), In a message on 5 May 2004 10:42:07 -0700, wrote :

DR> Ben, DR> DR> In my opinion, scratchbuilding can be defined as building anything DR> that isn't a pre-made kit.

Right. There are 'extremists'/'purests' around though. I 'scratch built' a bridge. I did use pre-made plastic structural shapes. I am sure there are modlers out there who would insist on making the structural shapes themselves from scratch.

\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu

|| snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com
/\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Reply to
Robert Heller

The NMRA allows structural shapes as raw material. Building them yourself may get you more points.

Howard NMRA Lifer and Contest Judge

Reply to
Howard R Garner

I avoid the whole problem by using the word scratchbashing :)

Reply to
Jason Davies

More power to them. I keep getting told that almost nobody is building anything from scratch anymore. Kitbashing sounds like it's still pretty healthy though.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Rutan

More power to them. I keep getting told that almost nobody is building anything from scratch anymore. Kitbashing sounds like it's still pretty healthy though.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Rutan

More power to them. I keep getting told that almost nobody is building anything from scratch anymore. Kitbashing sounds like it's still pretty healthy though.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Rutan

No - the "scratch" of scratch building refered/refers to the marking out or scratching on sheet metal. However, if you build your base model and add over the counter details then you're still scratch building. The use of proprietry motors, gears and wheels is also ok. There's a fine line between! :-)

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Hmmm, but you buy ready made windows and doors, bricks and kitchen fittings ...?

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Personally, I have always let the contractor build the thing. Cant find one

1/2 tall, though.

Jim Stewart

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Ask the dog - he always has plans to scratch!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Jon Miller posts:

I thought story in this response particularly interesting since I followed the same practice in building an FSM piledriver for an NER NMRA model contest. The judges never even blinked an eye nor posed any question about the model being in fact considered scratchbuilt.

Incidentally, I'd regard building many of FSM's kits as essentially scratchbuilding projects since they are sometimes nothing but piles of stripwood accompanied by detailed instructions. Other more modern AMB, Bar Mills, etc. laser kits are, however, far, far less along the lines of "scratchbuilt" items than those by FSM.

CNJ999

Reply to
JBortle

It is actually at the NMRA web site under "Achievement Program."

Scratchbuilt: To be considered scratchbuilt, a model must have been constructed by the applicant without the use of any commercial parts except: Motor Gears Drivers and wheels Couplers Light bulbs Trucks Bell Marker and classification lights Valve gear Car brake fittings Basic wood, metal and plastic shapes

The term "scratchbuilt" carries the implication that the builder alone has accomplished all of the necessary layout and fabrication which establish the final dimensions, appearance, and operating qualities of the scale model.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

A "piledriver" is also the name for a drink consisting of vodka mixed with prune juice. :-)

Dieter Zakas Constipation, NJ

Reply to
Hzakas

scratchbuilding projects since they are sometimes nothing but piles of stripwood accompanied by detailed instructions< One of the reasons that points have been shifted from the old days. There are now more points to be earned with prototype accuracy!

Reply to
Jon Miller