Squeeky Hornby 08's

Hi, Remember ages ago folk having problems with these. Mine started making a horrible noise at an exhibition at the weekend, but the bottom axles and horn blocks are well lubed ? Where was the problem ? The gear train or motor bearings ?

Reply to
Andy Sollis

Motor bearings. Very small amount of oil needed, pin head drop if not half!

Reply to
Piemanlarger

"Piemanlarger" wrote

Motor bearings. Very small amount of oil needed, pin head drop if not half!

Thanks Simon... Wondered where you had been of late ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis

lol, one of the things that has been keeping me busy is trying to get a hornby 08 to run with a sound chip. The loco pick ups are not much good for sound, i may have to go back to the bachman model!

Reply to
Piemanlarger

How would you fit a speaker in an 08 (I found it hard enough fitting a speaker in a standard 4MT tank)? I've also seen reports of pickup problems on the Bachmann version --- are these overstated problems?

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

"Mark Thornton" wrote

The latest Bachmann 08s have a modified pick-up arrangement, so the slight problem has been erradicated I believe. The original pick-ups needed to be cleaned occasionally, but it was only a five minute job once or twice a year in my experience.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote

The latest Bachmann 08s have a modified pick-up arrangement, so the slight problem has been erradicated I believe. The original pick-ups needed to be cleaned occasionally, but it was only a five minute job once or twice a year in my experience.

John.

With a working sand loader on my exhibition layout, it was more like wanting cleaning every 5 mins once a day ! It was the only loco to suffer ! 5h17 pickups on the old model. The Hornby 08 fairs better and I DO like the opening cab doors. So much more realistic for yard shunting. Just need to find a driver small enough.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis

I have two speakers in my hornby 08!

The 23 ml one is in the cab, while a smaller 20 ml one is inseide the body at the front end.

Reply to
Piemanlarger