Compressor Queries

Having had a few issues with air in the workshop (compressed rather than breathable) and thanks to a couple of very kind souls on Homeworkshop.org (which has been down when I have tried it this weekend

- problems?) I now have a receiver and pump, but no motor.

In the depths of the "will be useful one day" pile, I dug out a brand new motor I bought over 12 years ago and have yet to use. It is 3kW, so should have enough guts for the compressor pump, but it is 2850rpm (i.e. twice the "standard speed")

I assume compressor pumps (and their "gearing" through the pulleys) are all designed for 1425 rpm motors, so running it at twice the speed, probably wouldn't be appreciated? Could I re-gear it using a smaller pulley? (although on most compressors I've seen, the motor pulley is pretty small to start with!)

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

I'd say a factor 2 was probably a bit much. Bigger compressor pulley?

Reply to
newshound

You really need to provide more detail such as the compressor displacement and ideally get some information from the compressor manufacturer as to what its intended running speed range is. Plenty of compressors run with 2850 rpm motors they just have the appropriate drive reduction ratio. A general rule of thumb is that 1hp will do 4cfm. But in the end no reason not to run a smaller pulley to get the compressor drive speed right providing the smaller pulley can transmit the power. Plenty of information online about what the drive capability of V belts is.

3Kw, that's a 4hp motor which is a good size if single phase.
Reply to
David Billington