OO for 5yr olds.

They promise they will be careful but truly can't.

i decided a while ago to not let them play with the better engines and stock.

I do have Duck from the hornby thomas range and its ideal - slow (otherwise they race them round and they tend to come off on sharp corners); multiwheel pickup and no small stuck on bits.

I picked up 2 or three 0-4-0 things with faces cheaply and painted them up in different colours (with exceptional lining and brass domes - i got quite good at them) but they whizz round too fast and get stuck across points. Kids can't reach the other side of my baseboard......

FWIW, they don't seem to care about faces.

Is the 0-6-0 Thomas as good as and the same speed as Duck? Any other cheapo contenders - presumably all the 0-6-0 are the same chassis but how about the

0-4-0's?

Ken Ps - which company has brought out the most suitable truck for Maltesers? :-)

Reply to
Ken Wilson

"Ken Wilson" wrote

It should be, but the best 0-6-0 chassis is under 'Toby' - it's a cheaper version of the J94 0-6-0ST chassis, but still runs really slowly.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I found that Thomas runs quite slowly, though I've put a limiter on the voltage controller too so when my 2.99 year old (3 next week) plays, I flip a switch and she can't do any damage.

As to Maltesers, can't comment, but I've banned the end-tipping truck when my daughter plays, as she loads them up with chocolate buttons, and they just get left everywhere...derailing Thomas next time round:-) I have an old long wheel base wagon that I've repainted into thomas like colours... she's happy. (Kept me happy too, painting it etc etc). And it carries almost a full packet of chocolate buttons.

HTH!

Ken Wils> They promise they will be careful but truly can't.

Reply to
Ian Cornish

Have you also considered enrolling them in the Hornby club. It is about =A317 a year with a magazine 4 times a year but you get a small (0-4-0) free loco. There is also a discount card but quite honestly you get a better discount by shopping around.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

Hornby club is =A320 per year. You get 6-8 (good) magazines per year, and a small model (this years is an 0-4-0 SR tank). I get a 10% discount from my local hornby dealer/shop with the card (on hornby stuff only), and find this makes them comparable to internet shops.

Reply to
icornish

Hi chaps, first post to this forum so I hope you'll go easy on a beginner.

Back in 1980 I was 5 years, going on 6 years, old. My parents bought me a Hornby '00' Evening Star train set for Christmas; this contained the tender drive 9F loco, 8 wagons, cardboard tunnel, oval of track with 2 sidings and a goods shed. I loved it, so it was followed up for my 6th birthday with another Hornby loco, Stanier Pacific Duchess of Sutherland, along with matching LMS coaches.

Some of my young friends had 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 tank locos, which held their interest for a few months before being consigned to the bottom of the toy drawer. My interest, on the other hand, persists to the present day.

The moral? I'm sure it's a very sensible idea to protect your prized loco collection by buying something specifically for your 5-year olds, but perhaps dumbing down to the most basic tank locos isn't the best option if you're interested in them having an interest in the hobby in the long term. How about buying them one or two 'proper locos' which they will hopefully look after carefully as they are their own special locos. They needn't even be new locos, but perhaps famous prototypes, for example, Flying Scotsman or Mallard, would be a good idea. My own first two locos are still in my collection. Sure, they have a few bumps and scratches, but they're still very presentable and hold a great deal of sentimental value to me.

Just some thoughts of mine - whatever you do, good luck keeping them interested over the years!

Tom.

Reply to
Tom

I only ever used my card in the early days of buying stuff, before I got know any dood local dealers. Used it in Model Zone once but then realised that even after 10% off they were stonkingly more expensive than some shops published prices.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

"Tom"

interesting viewpoint. I wonder if its the other way round, though? ie you originally had a deep passion for trains so you looked after them and the passion stayed with you.

I am vaguely coming to the conclusion that some kids look after toys (eg my bro in laws car collection is relatively unscratched and my eldest's is, er, hammered already).

actually, he's not too bad on his own but get a couple of them round and i have had to declare it off bounds. Watching him yesterday, he knew he had the points wrong and a crash in the tunnel- but turned the knob the wrong way by accident.

i would be delighted to give him a 9f or something but will contemplate it later

John - Toby eh? built in malteser skirts! thanks.

the 2 yr old has got his head around the point switching panel. :-)

ken

Reply to
Ken Wilson

snip

The tender drive duchess isn't very fast, and quite sturdy too, bought one for Mrs Badger, likewise most of the other early hornby locos, avoid modern fine scale *detailed* locos though, pick-up wrong and the connecting rods bend/other details break off. Find a good swapmeet or shop that stocks second-hand locos/rolling stock and form a relationship with the shop staff, tell them you have a layout but need sturdy older stuff for a small child to run whilst you need modern fine scale models, if they are any good you should walk away with something suitable at a fair price. Locally Ronlines in Southampton have been very helpful, Tony's in Portsmouth OK (just don't take the kids with you), but where

-ever you are you should be able to find something, even if its by e-mail/post.

Niel, aka Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Or alternatively go along to a local model railway show. The youngsters will enjoy it and maybe get a few ideas (including about operating), and you'll find some good traders, including usually some dealing in used items and often with a test track (or access to a friendly layout to demo an item).

Reply to
Bob Hope

"Badger"

Locally Ronlines in Southampton have been very helpful,

Um - have you heard of Gosport?

- there actually.

Ken

"you bought Mrs B a duchess? Good heavens - mine just wants earrings and stuff"

Reply to
Ken Wilson

As a Gosport resident I am not aware of any model railway shops in the town, the nearest are Wicor Models at Portchester, Tony's and the Fratton Model Centre. There used to be a very good shop, "Train Line" run by a Mr Rob Scott (if memory serves me correctly), but he closed down some years ago. As well as being helpful, knowledgeable and holding good stocks of both the smaller and larger items, he was an excellent kit-builder. If only I could find him now!!

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

"David

i was actually joking with Badger that his nearest were also mine.

Funnily, i find all those three shops "uncomfortable" and get bits from Wicor if i need something small but would rather go to Alton or Gaugemaster if i want to browse and have a think/discuss.

ken

Reply to
Ken Wilson

Yep I @know@ gosport.

Hummm, Tony's North End Portsmouth would be nearest for good s/h I think.

Well yes, in fact it was all her fault I got back into model railways, she complained longingly about not being allowed a trainset as a girl, so one birthday she got an 0-6-0 plus some stock , controller and rail, next birthday a pug and bogie flat, carrying a rather nice bracelet came 'steaming' into view....Then the boys were born and it went even faster down hill from there!

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

Following this thread, alton's ok with older kids, g/m I refuse to use if at all possible as their attitude to my eldset trapping his hand in the front door when the wind caught it was most unhelpful, as was their lack of support for one loco I bought there... Niel.

Reply to
Badger