gummy puck in paint

I opened a bottle of Modelmaster paint (Gloss white) that had been thinned

30% with Testors Modelmaster Airbrush Thinner, maybe 6 months back. (The bottle had been on a robart paint shaker for 20 minutes) When I went to check the viscosity of the paint I found a small 1/8 in thick gummy, rubbery "puck", whitish, but just barely opaque, in the bottom of the bottle. I tossed the puck, but then found small bits of congealed material floating in the paint. Now I read about reviving paint... I hesitate as I don't want to ruin an expensive kit (or have to deal with removing the paint) just to save $3 on a bottle of paint. Any ideas on the gummy puck, or comments about how to avoid them would be most welcome. Cheers, Bruce
Reply to
Bruce Apple

Thinned paint doesn't store well unless it's been thinned with lacquer thinner.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

thin only what you need at the time. airbrush thinner especially. otherwise, toss what you have now. it is too much effort to bring back.

Al Superczynski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Maybe I'll be sticking my foot in a bees nest here, but you said: "I hesitate as I don't want to ruin an expensive kit (or have to deal with removing the paint) just to save $3 on a bottle of paint."

I think that sais it all for the reviving of old caked up paint.

It's ONLY about $ 3.00!

You'll be having much more time and money spent to revive those tins than going out and get a new one.

At least that's my opinion.

Cheers,

Dennis

Reply to
Mechanical Menace

Yup. Much as I love Testors enamels, they do age from the first time you first open bottle. I have gotten to point where I always buy new paint for a new project, unless it is for a minor color that I am not airbrushing (say a bit of flat black). And this for colors I use frequently anyway. If color will be unique to that model I always buy fresh. But, hey, even though we agree that paint cost has risen faster than inflation, it is still cheap compared to price of kit, or, say a PE package for the kit.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I didn't say that.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Al Superczynski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Errr... I probably put the quote in the reply to your message. No harm done I hope.

Dennis

Reply to
Mechanical Menace