Seperating parts

I recently purchased an unfinished Star Wars X-Wing model. Is there anything I can use to soften or dissolve the glue used in order to seperate some of the parts that are already glued together?

Reply to
Paul DiTomaso

a few ideas... soak it in water and freeze it,it might pop apart liquid glue can dissolve the old glue(been there,done that)but can also dissolve the plastic score along the seams with a knife and pull hard

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

I once used a hot knife, with an exacto blade, to separate the lower wings on a Lindberg Gloster Gladiator; it worked but there was a considerable amount of refilling and sanding when the wings were re joined to the fuselage. If had to do it over again I would use a fine cut hobby saw, but this is how we learn. :-) Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

I've had good results with acetone (nail polish remover). Brush a little on the joint, wait, and then gently, and I stress gently work the joint open. Apply more acetone as required to separate the parts.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Cuell

If attached by cyanoacrylic glue, I'd try using acetone to soften it up--maybe score the joint with an X-Acto first. If the parts are welded together by a solvent-type glue, I'd try working any remaining seams with a an X-Acto or other narrow blade to see how much you could pop open. The best approach for a tight seam might be a razor saw, as someone else had already noted. If you can work from the inside out on any of the seams, the amount of cosmetic damage will be greatly reduced. If you're really desperate, try dropping the offending pieces onto concrete from about six feet--the glued joints ought to be the weakest and therefore most likely to spring. However, this is a desperation tactic.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert