Copydex

Hi folks,

I read recently that diluted copydex can be used instead of diluted pva for setting ballast ... the advantages claimed were that when it sets it sets "elastic" and has a matt finish.

I'm considering using it on my new layout but before I take the plunge has anyone tried it and give an opinion?

Cheers.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Fine if you enjoy the foul smell, and it yellows with age.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Ken Parkes wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMrosecott.ukfsn.org:

Right, message received, confined garage + foul smell = no fun at all.

Thanks.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Artists' matte medium gives the same flexibility. I have a tube at home to use for this purpose, but haven't smelled it so can't comment on the pong or not :-) Another problem might be that it costs a fair bit when bought in small tubes from an artists' supplier.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Copydex is solvent-based so if used in any quantity it needs a ventilated space. Also it will dissolve any plastic e.g. expanded polystyrene that it comes into contact with.

John

Reply to
John Rampling

John Rampling said the following on 06/10/2005 09:28:

Not sure that it is actually solvent based, as it is supposedly a "safe" glue. I think it might even be used in schools, unless they're not allowed to use anything stronger than flour paste these days. The stuff I've got doesn't dissolve expanded polystyrene at all - it sticks it quite well. You're not thinking of contact glues like Bostik or UHU are you?

I don't like using the stuff personally, but it has it's uses, and the smell is, erm, distinctive :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Ummm I have never found copydex to dissolve plastic, and its been my glue of choice for polystyrene sticking for years. It is a little pongy though I agree, and doesn't remain clear once dry. Its actually designed to stick down carpets and other rubber backed materials.

Reply to
estarriol

No. It's a water based latex adhesive.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

In some aspects not unlike the real thing then...... Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

I think you are thinking of EvoStik - smells of petrol.

Copydex is whit at first and takes a while to dry - smells of fish, but I don't know if it is dilutable with water or not.

Incidentally, Maskol (paint on paint masking) smells and looks and feels just like copydex.... I wonder... :o)

Reply to
unclewobbly

On 06/10/2005 19:19, snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com wrote,

Oddly enough, Copydex is pretty good when used for paint-on masking...

There are a few things in the model railway world that sell to us for a far lot more than the identical substance sold in the real world!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

You could be right. {:-)

Reply to
John Rampling

Hmm, I know that two things smell of fish, and one of them is fish. But I'm pretty sure that the other one was not necessarily Copydex!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

and it shouldn't... :o) bad case of BV

Reply to
unclewobbly

Guffaws.....nine out of ten :))

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Winsor and Newton sell Art Masking Fluid to water colourists which looks and smells exactly like Copydex, but it doesn't soak into the paper - it can be rubbed off. The reason for the difference defeats me.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

It could be the next step from 'Digital Sound'- railways with prototypical smells....A string of filthy six-wheel milk tankers, with the smell of rancid milk in their wake, the fish train....(The smell from the reservoir tanks of a Controlled Discharge Toilet when being emptied into the 'honey wagon' are worse even than these) 'High summer' meant something else then... One thing that I noticed both in Italy, and to a lesser extent Southern France, is that track in station areas is regularily give a wash with lime to reduce the effects of 'discharges' on the track. Here we rely on rain to have the same effect, I think. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

So why don't we start a list and stick (no pun intended) it on a website somewhere so that everyone can use the info and save us all some bucks ?

Keith

Reply to
Keith Lanham

Occurs to me it would be a great way of protecting exhibition layouts from pokey little fingers, a quayside with used fish boxes.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

On 09/10/2005 23:06, Ken Parkes wrote,

No, no, no. Nasty smells *attract* kids, not repel them!

Reply to
Paul Boyd