Copydex

I was reading the interwebs for ballasting tips and saw one site that advocates using dilute Copydex instead of PVA because it remains more flexible, and deadens the sound more. I'll try anything once, so I gave it a go both for a short stretch of ballast and a coal load in a wagon. The coal load is fantastic (cardboard, painted black, 2mm of coal, wet water, glue and a sprinkle of mine run over the top) but I am not yet convinced about the ballast. Has anyone used this technique for long enough to get god at it, and if so is it worth persisting? Or should I go back to the old standby of PVA plus water plus a tiny drop of washing up liquid?

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

I remember the punch cartoon saying God is alive but working on a less ambitious project. So hes ballasting now is he ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 21:40:57 -0000, "simon" said in :

You've not seen how much I have to do, have you? I've just looked back at the invoices, there are five 25 yard packs of track down already and a sixth underway.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Would very much like to have that as a problem - hopefully one day will. :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Quick response as just passing through but you can get flexible PVA - I got mine from the makers but for the life of me cannot remember their name, Google might throw them up. I seem to remember it's called book binding glue, it dries rubbery and is definately better sound wise than normal woodworking PVA. I laid the track on fibre insulation sheeting used for inserting between concrete (because Sundella wasn't available locally, this stuff was from the local builders merchant, works out a few pence cheaper but I think the max width is about a foot, all in 8 foot lengths). It takes pins okay but doesn't hold them, you do need to ballast and glue. The fibre base (sitting on plywood) with track ballasted using the book binding glue went into an unheated shed and never had a problem with it, tried it on a plank (so I could 'test' things sitting in the garden) that was outside for several years with no degradatuon, but the outside one wasn't ballasted.

HTH

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith