Ballasting jig

I have about 400ft of track to ballast now, so I was considering building a ballasting jig of some sort - a block of wood with the shape of the ballast shoulders machined into it and slots for the rails. Has anyone tried this? Or is it just as easy to simply pour and brush the ballast into place?

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Might need to add some wieght to it :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

In message , "Just zis Guy, you know?" writes

When you've finished, you might like to come and help me do mine. I've got about 1000 feet to do. I've started with the hardest bit (the station throat at the end of the branch line) so the rest should be relatively easy. One problem, though -- it's outdoors.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

It depends what ballast you use.

I don't like Woodland Scenics because it swells and/or floats when you drip the diluted glue on it, destroying your careful shaping.

I use finely crushed stone but I doubt the one I buy is available in the UK. Possibly some kin of grit is available.

The crushed stone actually looks like fine ballast chips - I also use the one intended for the next scale smaller as it is closer to the right size. I model British O-scale at 7mm/ft in the USA and use HO ballast.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Why not be prototypical and use the Hornby Shark brake van? :)

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Brush it into place, then mist with wet water and finally add the dilute white glue. Its a lovely mind numbing task, have the stereo in the layout room on and prepare to explore all the Bach Cantatas. :)

Steve Magee Newcastle NSW Aust

PS - I wouldn't recommend Wagner, the ballast gets flung everywhere

Reply to
Steve

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 15:19:12 -0800 (PST), Steve said in :

What, /again/? I was thinking of listening to some lieder by Wolf, I really need to expand my repertoire.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?