Re: Ballasting Peco Code 75 Track

With the points due to arrive any day (Hopefully tomorrow, as I've got

> Thursday off), I'm wondering how I'm going to ballast the track on my new > layout. I was rather suprised to see that finescale flex-track has no holes > for track pins - and I'm wondering if I'll have to drill the holes myself > (Not likely to be a pretty sight). > > However - flicking through a few old RM's last night, I saw on one layout > (Trezeath) that the modeller painted the track, glued it to standard Peco > underlay, then covered the lot in ballast. Is this reccomended with Code 75 > finescale - it sounds a lot easier than drilling out holes for track pins? > __________________________________________________________________ Stuart > Fairway ICQ#: 54495009 Current ICQ status: + More ways to contact me > __________________________________________________________________ > >
Reply to
Rob

Hi Stu. I have used Code 75 and track pinned it down. It is not particularly difficult. I simply used a .8mm drill in a pin vice. Drill the hole and pop the pin in and then complete the driving of the pin with a nail punch to avoid damage to the rail. What I did do which was slightly different was I pinned the sleeper close to the the rail such that the pin is hidden by the rail from the viewing side such that the first pin is between the rails and the next pin is in the sleeper outside of the rails (furthest away from the viewing side).

I have laid track sucessfully without pins but this was handbuilt. I would think that depending upon the track plan you may need to put some pins in. I would also put three pins in each point especially if you are going to put some form of point moter or rodding to change the direction.

Regard Rich

Reply to
Rich

I like the sound of that (especially the last bit ;-) ) - but as Rich suggests, I think it might be wise to put track pins in the points for the motors.

Reply to
Stu