ballasting

This is starting to wind me up.

I want to make nice tidy ballast shoulders, but I am struggling to do it. The ballast flows too freely when dry and is too sticky when wet. What is the arcana for tidy ballast shoulders?

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Try

Dragon Heart

I use ordinary office paper paste. When I need ballast as neat as a dutch farmyard then I paint the glue in the required place with the aid of a straight edge ( flexi of course ). I then sprinkle the ballast onto the glue from an old herb dispenser pot and leave it to drive. The surplus is vacuumed up using a dust buster battery driven unit from which it is easily recovered. Fiddling with glue covered material just is not worth the effort!

regards

Reply to
Sailor

My preferred method for ballasting is to mix the ballast with dry wall paper paste (small granular stuff for preference, but powder will do) and then position it dry. When it's where it should be I spray with any old trigger spray bottle (a touch of washing-up liquid helps to reduce surface tension issues). This has the advantage that you can create shoulders etc without things sticking to other things, and you can colour the water to tone the ballast. The result is nice and solid so not for those who are likely to want to relay track!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends