Do modelers really want "functional steering" ??

I personally could care less if any of my kits had moving parts. how many of us still spin props, drop bombs with that little lever sticking out of the old 1/48 Monogram kits, etc..

Just venting as it seems like this kit was made a lot more complicated than it needed to be....but since I never look at the bottom of any vehicle kit I build, I leave out as much as possible so the thing won't fall apart..

Craig

crw59

i don't like silly deatures but i do like lots of parts. 8 piece per link track is fine, 1000 plus parts on a jeep is ok... it's just what you like that is what you should build. bet you have one hell of a spares box.

Reply to
someone

In 1/35th? Just remember that the home market does seem to like gimmicks in their kits, the cleverer the better. I'm the kind of builder who regularly glues opening doors shut on my car kits. I've rarely seen a model with opening doors that doesn't exhibit door sag when they are open.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I heard recently on tv a quote that there is probably 15-20 pounds of extra tank kit parts put all over the Death Star model from Star Wars.

And yes, I got a gazillion pieces of this and that from parts I did not use. I am more interested in the shell or the look of a target or plane, not what is inside. I seal up just about everything I can.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

I'm the opposite. I open up everything possible on aircraft. In my experience, military aircraft aren't sleek things dashing nobly around the skies. In my experience they sit forlornly on the pan, every access panel open, usually with a crowd of blokes standing round, scratching their heads and muttering "Wot the bluddy 'ell is wrong wiv it *now* ?"

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

When building models of old cars, the door sag was a feature of the real cars. :-) I can't count how many times I had to readjust sagging doors by opening them enough to get a floor jack under the latch end of the door and jacking it up until the sag was gone.

Reply to
willshak

While I do not care if the stuff actually "operates", I do like an option of doing cars with the wheels turned. I believe a car looks better with the front wheels cocked sideways a little.

I like to make airplanes with the canopy open. So I like this option.

Sometimes on carrier planes it is nice to have an option to display it with wings folded. I do not need them to fold and unfold - merely an option to build it with wings in either position.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Several years ago a Czech friend visited and actually brought a couple of his works of art with him.

One was an Avia S-199 with all control surfaces attached to the stick and rudder pedals. Using a probe or a pair of needle point tweezers he pushed on one rudder pedal or the other to make the rudder move and move the stick to move the other control surfaces.

The kit was the K.P. offering in 1/72 scale!

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

YEAH - gimme as many parts, as much function, and MORE ETCH on any kit...

...and then I'll still go aftermarket on ya.

Reply to
Rufus

That's completely insane by rational standards, but one has to applaud insanity like that. This guy _really is_ an artist, like Michaelangelo taking a rake to the "inferior" paintings he did in the Sistine Chapel in the movie "The Agony And The Ecstasy". All great artists never created their greatest works by choice, but rather by a obsessive drive that demanded they keep working at something

24/7 for every day of their life, like a male salmon heading up a Alaskan river to screw and die.* He may not do many models total in his life, but _by God_ they are going to be some finished models indeed!
  • BTW, note the number of male versus female model builders in this world... I'm still working out the ramifications of this in a male/female psychological sense, but there's something profoundly and deeply male-related going on here - from childhood on forward.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Gotta admit that I'm a sucker for hyper-detailing that really allows modern CNC manufacturing to flex its muscles. Nothing sours me worse than to open a kit and find that the contemporary rendition settled for the mediocrity of past attempts. Ya gotta keep pushing the envelope.

It makes sense for me financially too. I build out of the box spending ZERO dollars on resin, PE and cottage industry accys - so the better the kit, the better modeling experience (theoretically) for me all around.

Of course I want all this bang at a bargain. ;-)

Spinning and movable parts can be better postitioned for diorama or display posing requirements and then glued into place - no problem. Extra parts cast aside into the parts box where history proves they will be useful down the road at some point - even if it's just to test new glue, filler and paint combinations.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

"Enzo Matrix" wrote

LOL Enzo - that's very much my feeling of what actually happens. No experience to back it up, just my feeling!

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

In this case the modeler carried his obsession to a great conclusion. He is now the owner of one of the Czech multi-label model manufacturers.BTW, it's not just scale modeling that is predominantly male oriented. Art in general has a very small percentage of women reaching a successful level worldwide.TomOn May 19, 11:20=A0pm, Pat Flannery wrote:> snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com wrote:> >

Several years ago a Czech friend visited and actually brought a couple> > of his works of art with him.> > > One was an Avia S-199 with all control surfaces attached to the stick> > and rudder pedals. Using a probe or a pair of needle point tweezers he> > pushed on one rudder pedal or the other to make the rudder move and> > move the stick to move the other control surfaces.> > > The kit was the K.P. offering in 1/72 scale!> > > Tom> > That's completely insane by rational standards, but one has to applaud> insanity like that.> This guy _really is_ an artist, like Michaelangelo taking a rake to the>