Hurricane Diorama Question

thinking of using 2 of these Airfix Hurricanes in a simple diorama using the 1/48 ICM Crew and Pilots kit. It's either this or the Revell Spitfire. Price is a key and these kits are priced just about right.

Don't know when I last built an Airfix kit. Am hoping I can leave at least one cockpit open.

Was it common for the planes to be on grass? I had a rollout sheet of a larger scale grass. Anyone know of a sheet of grass in 1/48 +/- ? I could sprinkle out the stuff from a bag but its so uneven that way.

thx - Craig

Musicman59

I have seen a number of photos from BoB showing operations from grass fields, and even planes parked on grass.

There are some really neat sheets of grass at hobby shops these days, including ones with variation of color- some more brownish areas among the green. Look in model RR area.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

From all the WWII aircraft shows I have seen, grass airfields were the norm.

Reply to
sctvguy1

Was it common for the planes to be on grass?

Especially during the Battle of Britain where the RAF operated from small private flying clubs because (a) the main airfields were damaged and (b) this distributed the aircraft making harder to find\spot targets for the luftwaffe.

But even some of the main airfields would have had grass strips.

Cheers,

Nigel

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4855 (20100210) __________

Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>

Hi, The purpose built airfields like Biggin Hill, Kenley, Hornchurch, North Weald, Hawkinge, Duxford etc had E type dispersal pens, named as such as they look like capital E's from the air. Aircraft would be parked in these whenever possible as they afforded protection from bomb blasts except for hits in front of them. These had concrete floors and picketing rings with bitumen poured joints and earth/grass covered arms and entrances to air raid shelters within the back arm. Consult books for photos. Google Maps satellite or earth for sizes. I have plans as work in progress. Visit Kenley or google it to see a restored pen though the base was tarmaced over , bit of a shame. That one has the less common entrance to shelter design. The standard entrance is of type

pics on here (scroll down a lot)
here
though more are available if you google Kenley, or similar airfields.

Now missing from the memorial and other pens but one on the airfield, the arm ends had brick walls.

The flying clubs mentioned obviously wouldn't have such, though erection of sandbagged equivalents might have happened if time allowed. There is a shot of pilots relaxing on the grass at Hawkinge with Hurricanes in the immediate background on grass, also there is a photo of 610 squadron (DW code) out on the grass. So either way you may be safe. I am not aware of that many flying clubs being used. Airfield craters were flagged and steamrollers and shovels soon had things filled in again. Any instances of squadrons being rehoused to flying clubs I would be interested personally to know about, locations and other details etc. The infrastructure that went with the squadron enabling the maintenance of both pilot and aircraft, communications to dispersal etc would mean a move to another airfield not with such in place would not be taken lightly. Such moves though would mean the Luftwaffe would probably not attack the squadron once there.

Steve

"Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>" Was it common for the planes to be on grass?

Reply to
Steve