Hasegawa 1/32 bf109E Nightfighter ?

anyone found a pic of this upcoming kit ???

Craig

crw59

someone

hoping it will have a black finish,,,,what's this make, 4,783rd version of the 109?

and still no Val, Kate, Helldiver, Raiden, etc.....

Craig

Reply to
crw59

indeed. maybe if the makers thought they were nazi..... eternal gratitude to airfix and matchbox for the kits they did. how many subjects only they did, hundreds? ok many came out in specialty vac and resin, but that isn't mainstream. boutique kits have prices to matchj.

Reply to
someone

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Probably your everyday 109 but with markings for one of the 'Wilde Sau' groups. No onboard radar, no special paint, just go up and shoot at anything that might be a bomber and land somewhere in western Europe. Crazy, but a few bombers were hit.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Not really. A Polish fighter squadron based in Coventry during the November blitz 1940 reckoned bombers made an easy target against the illuminated night sky but they were denied clearance for takeoff. I expect the sky above German cities was even better illuminated?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Why would a night fighter have carried a 250Kg bomb - or external fuel tank come to that?

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

The fuel tank may make sence, as the 109 had short endurance, and they went up in patrols waiting for someone to come into their area.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

Nigel Heather Why would a night fighter have carried a 250Kg bomb - or external fuel tank

I think what you've basically got there is a stock Bf-109E kit with new painting instructions and decals. The drop tank would make sense if you had to hunt around to locate the incoming bombers, so wanted a long loiter capability. As for the bomb...well, remember that guy down at the beer hall that threw you and the boys out last week for being a little too rambunctious? It'd be a pity if that beer hall were to have a bomb fall on it during the next RAF night raid, wouldn't it? ;-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

on 11/30/2007 3:59 PM Pat Flannery said the following:

Didn't they have fighter/bombers that dropped bombs into a flight of allied bombers?

Reply to
willshak

they even tried dangling them from cables.

Reply to
someone

willshak wrote:

They tried it with little success one of the ideas was to have a acoustic fuze set off the bomb as it passed through the bombers; I think a barometric fuze may have been tried also. The had numerous odd ideas for attacking bomber squadrons from aircraft trailing wires with explosive charges on the end of them to ones that dropped barrage balloon cables with parachutes at the top into the path of the bombers, to you name it- explosively - armed aircraft ramming the bombers after the pilot bailed out at the last moment, a possible version of the V-2 (named "Kampf" IIRC) with a larger warhead and a lot less fuel flying up into the bombers and detonating as a ground control crew saw it pass through their altitude (this was a reaction against their lack of luck with proximity fuses for their AAMs and SAMs), manned aircraft that were supposed to hit them and survive the impact via their very strong structure, and one of my favorites I'd like more info on... a He-177 heavy bomber with a battery of 33 large unguided rockets that would be launched upwards from inside the fuselage at the bombers from below; almost like you had a Trident missile sub shooting at you from below. They actually made a few of those but they never encountered a bomber formation to try the idea out. It would make a fascinating model though. I assume the rockets were the same Wgr. 21s fired from under the wings of fighters. With each rocket carrying a 40.8 kilogram warhead on it of which 10.17 kg was explosive, this was something a bomber didn't want to get hit with. A vast array of R4Ms would also have been pretty formidable in this roll, although with P-51s and P-47s around the He-177 would be a sitting duck.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Have never built a 1/32 before. The instructions make it look quite easy to build straight out-of-the-box. Is it really that easy?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Never built a Hasegawa one.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Thanks Claus. I was planning to get the Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire as I already have the Dutch squadron markings for it.

(kim)

Reply to
kim