Trumpeter Wildcat Question

anyone know if this kit was issued after the Trumpeter recall for design errors? And from what I read of this description, the kit does not have folding wings. Is that correct? I never could get the Revell Wildcat to resemble anything symmetrical (wings and that weird undercarriage) so I am hoping its only a fixed wing version.

thx - Craig

Musicman59

if the text on that page is any indication, there's no telling what is in the box...

1: Assemble a US Air Force Grumman F4F-3 Fighter with this 1:32 Scale US Air Force??? 2: Beautifully reproduced cockpit! Realistic ejection seat with photo Ejection seat??? 3: etched brass shoulder harness and seatbelt. Exquisitely detailed Shoulder harness??? 4: Wings with positionable leading and trailing edge flaps. leading edge flaps??? 5: Exquisitely detailed underwing weapons stations. nominally possible but very rare and never used in combat, to my knowledge 6: Impressively detailed external stores including external fuel tanks and an optional LANA (Low Altitude Night Attack) pod; not to LANA pod???? 7: 4 grooved rubber tires with tread and sidewall detail. 4 tires???? 8: The ventral speed brake can be fixed in the open or closed position. ventral speed brake???? Realistic folding wings. F4F-3's do not have folding wings, but I have no idea what plane these words are talking about, let alone what the plastic in the box will assemble...
Reply to
Steve Vernon

Yes...I have two of them (and plans to bash one into an FM-2 - not that difficult, really). Both of mine are the post-rework issues. If there is anything notably odd about the kit's outline, I'd have to say it's the canopy windscreen - too vertical. Since it's pretty basic I may be able to correct it with some clear sheet. Or maybe get hold of a Revell canopy...

Yes - the kit does have folding wings - at least the F4F-4 kits I have do. Lots of moving parts there...going to be a challenge. A challenge to keep from breaking stuff, that is.

If you've seen the 1/48 Tamiya F4F-4 kit, imagine that on a heavy dose of steroids, with some additional detail thrown in in the interior spaces.

Reply to
Rufus

Sounds like they crossed their wires with an A-7 Corsair II.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Trumpeter issued the F-4F-4 first, and then redid it with new parts after a lot of criticisem and the new kit is pretty good, but with weaknesses, the wingfold is complex and difficult to make as are some of the moving surfaces on the wing.

However the F-4F-3 version is a lot later in being issued and therefore should have the corrected fuselage, and it has the non folding wing, so the wingfold isn't a problem here.

Both kits have one weakness that Trumpeter should IMHO have corrected when at it. The engine mount is still made up for the first issued wrongly shaped fuselage, meaning that the engine doesn't meet it properly. Hard to see, but it's there.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen