German Uniform Question

Starting the Tamiya 1/16 King Tiger. Comes with two infantry in camo and one tank commander figure.
I want to finish it in a winter scheme and add some 1/16 figure I
found in winter gear with coats, etc.
Wondering if I could use the kit figures and the wintere figures together. I know the Allies had problems with issuing winter gear, but not sure if the Germans had the same problem.
Just trying to avoid an odd mix of figures, some in summer/fall camo and some in coats. No idea what the commander would wear in cold weather. Did they always wear the black uniform no matter what?
The diorama I have in mind is having the tank with the winter figures sitting on the engine deck going by two soldiers trying to keep warm over a fire in an barrel, etc.
Thx - Craig

Depending on when during the are the Germans had issues with supplies of all kinds. I am under the impression that from at least 44 if not earlier it was not unusual to find soldiers with everything from early war style uniforms to the lastest types of lesser quality and all sorts of differences in between. "Elite" units - Waffen SS - would more likely have better equipment including clothing.
Soldiers are remarkable scroungers and will do most anything to keep as comfortable as possible given conditions. As long a your guys aren't in shorts and short sleeves it could be reasonable.
--
"Laws are made for men of ordinary understanding and should, therefore, be
construed by the ordinary rules of common sense. Their meaning is not to be

They had plenty of problems, especially in late 1944 until the end. Stripping GIs of their winter clothing, boots, weapons was not unheard of.

Absolutely not. Grey versions of the panzerjacke were common. Camo versions galore - inc. uniforms made from stocks of Italian camo fabric. Reed green summer versions too. And then you have the SS and Luftwaffe variants on top of all that. German uniforms are a study unto their own.
If it were me, I'd choose guys like these:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id6304 Of course the wintertarnanzug in grey or white is easier to paint than Heer or SS splinter camo.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id6301 You could "model on" a scarf or turtle neck to give the tanker a more bundled up look
This guy might have stopped by to have a chat http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id6306
BUT this guy in SS pea dot camo you would want to avoid http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id6303
And these guys would be excellent http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id 536
WmB

thx much. I have a few of the ones you mentioned. The last one is the best idea of all. It would add a great deal of accuracy with kind of a "Final Countdown" slant to it. Maybe I'll add these too.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGW06&P=FR
Craig

LOL - I was just checking to see if anyone was even reading posts anymore. I'm not sure those dinos are winterized though.
WmB

The ground troops would likely all be in either temperate or winter clothing. The winter of 1944 (the only winter in which this tank served) was bitterly cold. The Germans' problems with winter clothing shortages applied to the first two winters in Russia--they were supplying winter clothing pretty lavishly by 1944. The tank's commander might stick his head out for a while wearing only his black woolen uniform jacket (with gloves), though. However, tank crews received the same reversible winter uniforms as everybody else, and he would be wearing the jacket, at least, if he was planning to stand out in the open for any length of time. Gerald Owens

thx. I may just button up the tank and use the winter figures seated over the engine, taking a look at the less fortunate soldiers trying to stay warm over a fire, without proper gear. maybe I could make a coat or something out of tissue paper, draping it over a branch drying out or some such thing. The figures I have are in a fairly static standing pose, so this seems to be the best option.
Craig