Royal Scots Greys - 2nd Dragoons uniform question

I am trying to complete a figure of these guys. Does anyone have the Osprey book on them or know what color the stripe down the side of their field unform trousers was? All the paints have them in dress uniform, which they did not wear during field duty!

Thanks

Reply to
Bluepen

What period? I have Osprey's "British Battle Dress 1937-61".

Reply to
Anonymous

Reply to
Bluepen

The colour plates in the Osprey book don't show the field uniform for the period you're interested in, but there is a drawing with description,

"In 1811 leather breeches were superceded by breeches of plush - a course form of velvet. These were thick and unsuitable on active service, so the "invading overalls" or trousers were subsequently introduced. Web breeches were worn below and grey overalls on top. The side seams of the overalls bore a blue stripe and rows of buttons down these seams provided a close fitting garment."

Hope this is of use. If you need more e.g. the sketch, I can scan the page and email it.

JP

Reply to
JP

The overalls were also lined with leather on the inside leg and around the "cuff".

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes

Thanks guys... that should do it... no pictrures needed. I had some but where they are on my hard drive is anohter matter.

Thanks.

Lance

Reply to
Bluepen