newbie question

ok guys (and gals?) new to the hobby and just got my baseboard fixed together. now for the next step. what would you recommend
mat or scatter? glue or paint as a fixing agent? and same question about the ballast for the track all opinions welcome. also should say i'm modeling in oo . cheers paul.
"minstrel2003" wrote

None of these - get your track down and play trains for a while. When you're happy that the layout works properly and meets all your operational requirements, that's the time to start thinking of scenery.
John.
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:58:28 -0000, John Turner wrote:
=> =>"minstrel2003" wrote => =>> ok guys (and gals?) =>> new to the hobby and just got my baseboard fixed together. =>> now for the next step. =>> what would you recommend =>> mat or scatter? =>> glue or paint as a fixing agent? =>> and same question about the ballast for the track =>> all opinions welcome. =>> also should say i'm modeling in oo . => =>None of these - get your track down and play trains for a while. When =>you're happy that the layout works properly and meets all your operational =>requirements, that's the time to start thinking of scenery. => =>John. => =>
And buy a book or two about the basics of modelling railways. The best are the ones that describe building a complete layout, since they cover every aspect. If your local public library has suitable books, borrow before you buy. Or browses through them in a gopod hobby shop.
Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor) <just one w and plain ca for correct address>

Agreed. Also buy books about the prototype, esp. books with a lot of pictures. (My favorite is "Steam on the Southern"). Use these as a reference when you start landscaping, I like to think of it as painting in 3D. When looking at photos of other peoples layouts, I use them as a yardstick, not a reference.
Good luck Rob
I think as a returning Modeller I have got this bit down pat
One book that I am finding invaluable is a little MAP booklet titled "Model Railway Handbook" given away with the May 1968 edition of Model Railway News
The major piece as far as I'm concerned is the Diagram and dimension key for Loading Gauge the picture shows all the measurements I need for track platform tunnels bridges embankments in scale (actually from 3mm to 7mm )
Now though I'm looking for diagrams I once had (and may still have) on bridges and construction
the layout board is down a mere 18 foot 6 inch by 10 foot 4 inch so I've plenty of scope
-- Regards Gray The Madcaravanner from Chesterfield www.madcaravanner.co.uk You don't have to be mad ..... but it helps

are
every
you