Question about German WW2 uniform colors....

Hello to all. I've recently purchased the Airfix German infantry figure set, and am anxious to build them. My preferrence is to create small single-figure scenes, so I can get more diversity. The box art shows the soldiers all wearing the green/grey uniforms, but I've also seen plenty of illustrations showing a blue/grey color. Add to this the possibility of creating camo clothing, and I've got lots of options to work with. Can anyone shed some light on where the two different uniform colors were used, or maybe the approximate times of use? I could spend time trying to research this myself, but I've always gotten good info here, so I hope you won't mind helping me out again. BTW....I've done the 8th Army, European US infantry, and Pacific US Marines already, and now have the German infantry. Each one was a nice product, and fun to work with. I'd recommend them. Thanks, and take care.

Randy IPMS Houston

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

Randy My references say that Army tunics were grey-green which was subject to fading especially later during the war when only inferior quality material was available. Shades could vary from slate grey to light green. The tunic had 4 pleated pockets and bottle green collar facings.. Trouser were initially dark grey but in 1942 they were issued in grey-green to save material. Head gear such as the "fore and aft " Feldmutze and the later Einheitsmutze were also in grey-green. Officer's uniforms were the same colour but of better quality material which would have less prone to fading. It would be safe to say that any combination of the above could be seen after 1942 and after 1943 simplfied tunics were issued without pleats in the pockets and minus the bottle green facings. The standard field tunic was not issued in camouflage but a much simplified version was issued to Panzer crews late in the war. Camouflage clothing in the Werhmacht tended to be the camo smock, the 2 piece reversible snow suit (white/splinter) and the camo poncho/field shelter. There was also the armoured troops camo overall and the aforementioned tunic and pants. The blue-grey you mentioned was almost exclusively issued to Luftwaffe ground troops. Of similar pattern the Wehrmacht version, its not inconceivable that some may have been issued to Army troops but not on a widespread basis. Grey-green tunic and trouser were issued throughout the Wehrmacht in all temperate theaters and were also seen in North Africa combined with tropical clothing. Its likely that this "mix and match" was also common in Italy.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

Randy Try this site for good info on uniforms

HTH pipesmoker

Reply to
pipesmoker