Question on figure painting

Hello. I'm into building 1/72 stuff, and one of the greatest challenges so far is painting the soldiers. I've had pretty good success, but while some are molded in light colors more easily painted, others like Revell Germany (at least the set of US infantry I bought) are molded in very dark green. Can anyone suggest a good primer for these little guys? I've noticed also they are typically molded from a much softer plastic than ordinary styrene, so adhesion to the figure is important. I always wash them first before painting anyway. I appreciate any suggestions. Another thing. There is a marked difference in the interpretation of scales between brands. I placed a Revell-Germany soldier next to one by Heller, and the RG was at least 1 or 2mm taller. Last, thanks to the person who recommended using ww2 air force crewmen for my army engineers. It worked out perfectly, and with a little inginuity I got exactly what I was working for.

Randy IPMS Houston

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

I've been told that you need to wash them very well before painting. My brother who uses this kind of figure for gaming says he's had good results with acrylic primer and paint.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

i use the white refridgerator epoxy paint. takes a full 24 hours to dry, but clings like a cheap date and gets hard. when dry, paint covers easily.

Me too, but then I just paint with Humbrol enamels; I fear that priming will reduce any fine details.

The Heller figures (really repackaged Airfix figures) are actually 00/H0 or 1/76 scale[1], despite being marked otherwise. That doesn't matter much, however. OTOH Revell figures vary from slightly oversized to undersized, if

is to be believed. (See for example their review of Revell's modern british infantry.) Just don't put a tall figure right next to a tiny one.

Pictures?

-Lasse

[1] I never understood British model railroad scale. Elsewhere, H0 is 1/87, but I think British H0 is 1/76 like 00, just using the 16.5 mm track width from 1/87 "normal" H0.
Reply to
Lasse Hilleroe Petersen

And remember that people don't come in the same size. probably lots of 6'6" soldiers as well as some 5'6" ones.....

Craig

Reply to
Craig

You're welcome. When I get a chance, I'll dig out some pics of those dios I mentioned and post a couple or a link

-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEearthlink.net Springfield OH

Reply to
CSRZ28

I have had good luck with a thin mix of Model Master Light Grey Primer, airbrushed on, using windex for a thinner. You can spray it on thin enough to not diminish detail. And after 24 hours it stays on very well. I have scrubbed it with windex and a toothbrush and still had the majority of the primer cling. Good luck

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff