Diorama groundwork question

Greetings everyone. I always get great input here, and am back with another question regarding dioramas. I've done several, and while they are satisfactory they aren't up to standards of some I see. One thing that gives me trouble is a realistic earth layer. What do you guys use that simulates a realistic earth/base? Just in case I need to be more specific I'm talking about the very first layer, like dirt, before the application of grasses, ect. Also, this would be particularly important for a desert scene I'd think. One more related question.... What is the best method and/or product for sealing the grass layers? I've tried the Woodlands Scenic spray glue, and am not too pleased with it. Any suggestions are much appreciated, and feel free to recommend specific items. I have a good number of craft and hobby shops around. Thanks very much!

Randy IPMS Houston

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

Real dirt, dried and sifted, makes the best ground. I'd recommend diluted Elmer's glue for the sealer. Mix about a teaspoon in a quart of water with a couple drops of dishwashing liquid.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Agreed, but I use Testor's Clear-Coat lacquers to seal. Flat for a dry finish, and gloss if the ground is supposed to look wet.

Hey Bill, how do you apply your White Glue mixture?

The Old Timer

I was a longtime user of Celluclay as a base for groundwork however I've become a convert to using all nonorganic materials in order to eliminate shrinkage which is always a danger with wood and celluclay not matter how much white glue you add to the mix. Now I'm using plexiglass bases, florist foam to build up elevations, epoxy putty to seal gaps, acrylic medium to apply a texture and then model railroading materials.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Levine

thanks to those who have contributed here. esp', bill! :) i need a few tips on the subject myself and those in r.m.s land [whichever side of the pond you are on...... ] are being their usual helpful selves.

there is a song on the platoon OST by jefferson airplane [i think] called 'white rabbit' maybe that is where she is. also, read the _OUTSTANDING_ book by bruce marshall called the white rabbit. it is the true story of the heroic exploits of wing commander f.f.e. yeo-thomas of WW2 fame. that could also be where the white rabbit is.

have a good weekend everyone.

t.

[who is busy working out how to put an airfix Avro Blue Steel under a revell revell Handley Page Victor K2 converted back to a B2R in 1/72,btw]
Reply to
87015

diluted Elmer's glue? wot's that? like er what we guys over here would call PVA glue?

t.

Reply to
87015

"Elmer's Washable School Glue" is white glue, the slightly-runny, non-toxic sort that preschool children get to use when working on scrapbook projects. The product's webpage, for what it's worth, is at

Reply to
Rob Kelk

"White Rabbit" was originally on the vinyl LP "Surrealistic Pillow" by Jefferson Airplane and it may have been brought along from The Great Society with Grace & Darby Slick. I heard that Disney put Alice back in the vaults when that song came out because they didn't want trippin' out to be associated with the movie. Yeah, I have the first of two of their (TGS) discs but missed out on the second. I have many of the JA/JS albums in the collection.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

great society stuff has been reissued as a double cd with bonus tracks. it was obvious the masters had been destroyed and the cd's were mastered from vinyl. since i didn't do it, it sounds like shit. i do have my encodes from pristine vinyl for sale cheap.